My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the chat on our Weight Loss forum.

Weight loss chat

No carb/atkins ladies - can I eat anything at a Chinese restaurant?

9 replies

Ewe · 27/05/2010 17:18

Going away for a friends birthday this weekend and a meal has been organised for the Sunday at a Chinese restaurant.

I am in induction phase on Atkins and wondering if there is anything I am likely to be able to eat. Please help!

OP posts:
Ewe · 27/05/2010 17:45

bump!

OP posts:
faithnomore · 27/05/2010 21:31

Am not an Atkins expert, only on week 2 of induction myself but:

Maybe salt and pepper spare ribs for starter? Have had several versions of these depending on the restaurant so guess some might have sugar, not sure.

Crispy duck with the cucumber but no sauce or pancakes?

Some menus have bamboo steamed fish with garlic and spring onions or similar that you could have for main?

Grilled prawns? Egg foo yung (like a thick omlette with prawns/meat if I remember correctly)?

Can you download the restaurant menu and try and decide in advance, stops you worrying that it's all going to fall apart on the night! Good luck!

ByThePowerOfGreyskull · 27/05/2010 21:34

I have a fab thing when we go it is like a fajita but with seafood and lettuce leaves as the wrap. it is totally delicious - sorry can't remember what it is called though -

Alibabaandthe40nappies · 27/05/2010 21:48

Duck with no pancakes, lemon chicken? It's a hard one because of all the batter everywhere.

mummymels · 28/05/2010 01:41

For starters you could have chicken wings or beef on skewers, that type of thing as I don't think it has much sauce.

If they have any steamed dishes then they would probably be good for low carb. Also see if they have something stir fried that's not got a lot of sauce. Failing that I think the less carby sauce is the black bean one although I'm not 100% sure.

notasize10yetbutoneday · 28/05/2010 08:44

The chinese restaurant we go to has gluten free options- would that work possibly? Last friday we went to an Asian fusion restaurant and I had seabass fillets with ginger and spring onion on a bed of pak choi, it came with a mound of rice next to it which I just left.

Ewe · 28/05/2010 10:48

Some good ideas ladies, will try and find out the name of the place we're going to so that I can look at menu in advance!

Thank you all.

Would love rice and chilli beef

OP posts:
mummymels · 28/05/2010 23:11

Good luck with finding something Ewe and enjoy it

BecauseImWorthIt · 01/06/2010 21:48

Sorry, Ewe, have only just seen this!

There are several things you can look out for - in our restaurant they do lettuce wraps. Iceberg lettuce leaves with a mixture of pork/mushrooms and veg to put inside, with hoisin sauce. If you can leave out the hoisin sauce, these are relatively low carb.

Instead of rice/noodles, have stir fried bean sprouts - or another low carb veg, like stir-fried celery and water chestnuts.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.