or
to access all these features

Join the chat on our Weight Loss forum.

Weight loss chat

Back fat- how to turn your back on it?!

6 replies

JumpingJellyfish · 04/04/2010 22:21

Hi ladies

I have a 4 month old DD2 (DC3), BFing exclusively (haven't started to wean) and currently 11st 4lb, much to my horror (am 5'6" tall, and used to weigh 10st pre DDs). My weight seems to be carried all on my upper half, particularly my back & upper arms...which frankly looks awful and mortifies me. Help me please with any tips to work it off? I have very little time for exercise, but am thinking of trying to do 20 mins or so in eves and also beginning a diet... Determined to lose weight especially from upper half!

Thanks for your help x

OP posts:
Piffle · 04/04/2010 22:27

Kettlebells are awesome fat burners
I revere mine as you can do it for quite short stints to build up with

LostGirl · 05/04/2010 07:27

Jillian Michaels 30 day shred dvd, only 20 minutes workout and really works your back, shoulders and upper arms. I noticed a real change in shape and definition in my back and shoulders in one month.

JumpingJellyfish · 06/04/2010 12:12

Thank you. Had never even heard to kettlebells so had to look that up ! Had just ordered some Davina DVDs but if they don't suit will look into the shred one. At the moment I get on an exercise bike to do 20 mins (approx. 4 miles) 5 times a week but don't think this'll help the back fat at all... Used to find swimming helped but no chance to get to the pool at the mo.
Trying to diet too- should I aim for low fat/calorie or low GI? Wary about not cutting down too many calories as b'feeding and night wakenings are taking my energy out of me already!!

OP posts:
LostGirl · 06/04/2010 12:34

Definitley not low calorie , you shouldn't reduce your calorie by intake by anymore than 300 calories a day, especially if you are exercising as well. If you undereat then your body will start burning your lean muscle mass for energy, not your fat stores, and this will reduce your metabolism and you will more than likely put the weight back on plus some. Try and eat five or six times at regular intervals throughout the day. Avoid processed food and 'bad carbs' such as white bread, sugar etc. Eat a small serving of wholegrain bread, wholewheat pasta, brown rice, at each meal, fill your plate with lots of different veg and have a piece of lean meat or fish. Try and add some protein to your breakfast as well.

JumpingJellyfish · 06/04/2010 12:47

Thanks Lostgirl! Great advice, really didn't have a clue where to start!

OP posts:
Piffle · 06/04/2010 19:07

Low Gi is excellent as it does not restrict amounts or cut out food groups....

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.