My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the chat on our Weight Loss forum.

Weight loss chat

Does your metabolism slow down after childbirth and for how long?

4 replies

LoveActually · 23/03/2009 12:21

Started exercising last week (gentle stuff) 8 weeks after my DD born by CS.
Didn't really get particularly huge during my pg, all weight on bump, but when I went to try on some jeans in Next on Saturday I couldn't even get on a size 14! Was surprised because my appetite has been really scant since having DD and have had to force food down on some occasions (was a bit depressed etc). was a size 10 before and although I'm not overconcerned I would like to get back into my clothes instead of having to fork out for new wardrobe.

OP posts:
HarryB · 23/03/2009 14:09

LoveActually, I too am in the same situation. DS was born by ECS 10 weeks ago and I'm now a size 16 and 2 stone over my pre-preg weight!!! I feel gross and my body seems to have fat in places it didnt before (like on my back under my bra , despite me carrying all my weight on the bump, stupidly leading me to believe that I'd look fine after. Lets not even get started on the post-CS bellyoverhang.

I am planning to start running next week - just 15 mins every other day to ease back into it. I think your metabolism does slow down once you've had the baby. It speeds up when pregnant so it makes sense that once the baby is out, it reverts backs to normal.

LoveActually · 24/03/2009 19:44

Hi Harry. Just wondering if have an emergency C section, or any c section messes with metabolism/hormones.
I've been doing a bit of research and I think our bodies hold onb to fat in anticipation of breast feeding. My metabolism was quite fast before pg. I think exercise is the way for us to go. I really can't eat any less than I am now!! x

OP posts:
HarryB · 25/03/2009 20:23

Hi LoveA, it's true that our bodies hang on to fat stores for breast feeding, but as far as I know, a C-section doesn't affect metabolism or hormones. I know you're finding it difficult to eat but please try to have some pasta or something, as not eating messes with metabolism more. I'm hoping a bit of running will sort out the extra weight as I have my holiday booked and like you don't want to buy a whole new wardrobe.

HarryB · 25/03/2009 20:23

Hi LoveA, it's true that our bodies hang on to fat stores for breast feeding, but as far as I know, a C-section doesn't affect metabolism or hormones. I know you're finding it difficult to eat but please try to have some pasta or something, as not eating messes with metabolism more. I'm hoping a bit of running will sort out the extra weight as I have my holiday booked and like you don't want to buy a whole new wardrobe.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.