Please
or
to access all these features

Join the chat on our Weight Loss forum.

Weight loss chat

How quick does fat turn to muscle?

13 replies

racmac · 08/03/2009 09:32

I keep reading that muscle burns more calories - how long before fat turns to muscle? Im doing aerobics 3 times a week - so how long before the fat turns into muscle

OP posts:
Furball · 08/03/2009 10:04

fat doesn't turn to muscle

your muscle becomes more defined and effiecient and burns more calories and hopefully if your diet is correct your fat as well

mileniwmffalcon · 08/03/2009 10:10

i've heard it's very difficult to gain muscle if you're following any kind of restrictive diet. also aerobics is cardio which doesn't build muscle afaik, you need to lift weights for that.

nikkid21 · 08/03/2009 12:03

If you can find one locally try a body pump class. It's lifting weights to music for an hour. Gives a good muscle building workout.

I've been doing 2 or 3 classes a week since september and while the weight hasn't changes my shape is much improved. No more bingo wings and my backside is separate from my thighs iykwim.

rach345 · 08/03/2009 16:07

fat doesnt turn into muscle, the muscle increases in size and burns the fat away.. thus looking smaller..

Miggsie · 08/03/2009 16:25

You need protein to help build muscle, lean protein like chicken and do lots of resistance exercises, weights etc.

Muscles burn more energy than fat so as you use muscles and build up more muscle mass, the calories stored as fat are used up so you lose the fat. But muscle is heavier than fat so you are likely not to lose much weight but you will get a better shape.

MarkPT · 08/03/2009 22:18

almost all the above true!
You cant turn fat to muscle, two totally different tissues.
You will need to do resistance work, if you're looking to build muscle. Dont worry women cant build much muscle because of small testosterone levels. Therefore the last post about not losing too much weight due to muscle gain isnt quite right.
Heck, how much muscle do you think you will gain?! 8lb?! no way!

You can lose fat without building muscle, but hvaing some muscle definition will give you a better shape. Cutting back on calories slightly, upping your protein intake, reducing your carb intake and some regular exercise (bodyweight squats, lunges, pressups ect) will do for now!

racmac · 09/03/2009 07:57

So if i do 2 high impact aerobics classes and 1 body pump class per week - will this be enough to help lose weight and tone up the flab? Anything else i should be doing? Do quite a lot of walking back and forward to school

OP posts:
MarkPT · 09/03/2009 08:03

As a personal trainer I shouldn't say this, but it is possible to lose weight without exercising! Yes exercise will help fitness, health, shape the body, but you gain weight when you eat more calories than your body needs/can burn and you lose weight when you do the opposite, yes, go for the classes above, and cut back around 300 calories per day to start with, eat more protein and see how you get on. Weigh yourself weekly, not everyday!

Nontoxic · 09/03/2009 08:11

I second the above - it's possible to lose weight without exercising but it's very difficult to rely solely on exercise.
And loads of cardio is a waste of time - high-intensity squats, step ups and lunges using your own body weight are the most effective.

racmac · 09/03/2009 12:09

I dont mind the exercise - i enjoy it and makes me feel good but Im keen to do the exercise thats best to help with toning etc.

I have no idea what foods have more proteim / carbs in etc - any good website or book recommendations - i have always been the kind of person who eats whatever whenever and its only lately that the weight is starting to pile on aarrrggghhh

OP posts:
MarkPT · 09/03/2009 13:50

good post nontoxic - good to see some people on the forum with sense - have read a lot of rubbish from some!

RacMac - protein tends to be; meats, fish, dairy, beans, nuts, protein powders,
Your carbs tend to be - grains, breads, pastas etc. up your vegetable and fruit contents and redeuce the amount of man made carbs. I tell my clients that if its grown, or lived at some point eat it! If its in a packet, or tin, minimise it!

racmac · 09/03/2009 14:21

thanks markpt

nontoxic - why is loads of cardio waste of time? Dont understand

OP posts:
Nontoxic · 09/03/2009 16:47

Actually it's not a 'waste of time' per se, but if you want to tone up quickly the body weight exercises will do this much more quickly and efficiently.
Try 3 sets of 15 lunges on each leg and see what happens to your heart rate! AND it will build your muscles at the same time.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.