Please
or
to access all these features

Join the chat on our Weight Loss forum.

Weight loss chat

Is Atkins as scary as it sounds ?

23 replies

travellingwilbury · 05/01/2009 09:45

I need a good kickstart to losing weight and my oh reckons Atkins is the way to go (he has done it in the past when he needed a boost)

I would only do it for a couple of weeks but I am a carb fiend and would love to be cutting down on the carbs for good .

So is it as grim as it sounds ? Or is it worth giving it a go at least for a couple of weeks ?

OP posts:
oggsfrog · 05/01/2009 10:22

Not grim at all, but do read up on it to make sure you understand the reasons this type of diet works so well.
Make sure you drink the recommended amounts of water too.
Good luck.

OneLieIn · 05/01/2009 10:24

the first few days are really tough TBH, my body goes into meltdown and I feel totally shit. However, come day 4 and suddenly I have ENERGY and I feel great. It works for me.

ABudafulSightWereHappyTonight · 05/01/2009 10:25

It is not scary really as you enjoy the knowledge that if you are hungry you can eat something substantial. The first 3 days are the toughest.

But - if you are doing it please please read the book and do it properly.

treacletart · 05/01/2009 10:34

It works well - I did it years ago and lost a stone and a half in about 3 months but I think it messes with your metabolism and if you ever eat carbs again, even sensible carbs ,not squidgy bread, pies and gateaux, it will all go back on again and more.

OrmIrian · 05/01/2009 10:37

Not neccessarily treacletart. I did lcing for quite a few years, then took up running and began to eat a more balanced healthy diet and lost more!

It's not scary OP. It's brilliant. It feels odd to start with but after a while you aren't hungry, you lose cravings and the weight drops off. But I agree with Buda, read the book. It's important.

travellingwilbury · 05/01/2009 11:15

Thank you , I haven't read all of the book so maybe that can be a job for today . I have had a look at the official website which seems really easy to follow .

I have had an omelette this morning and a roast chicken planned for later . I think the b fast and main meal will be pretty easy to do but a sandwich at lunch time is my staple so any ideas would be gratefully recieved .

I was surprised at how much fruit and veg I can still have as I had always thought it was pretty much meat , eggs and cheese but actually its not that much cheese .

I am going to give it a go and will probably keep waffling on here about it and asking questions .

OP posts:
OrmIrian · 05/01/2009 12:41

Home-made soup. Salad with feta cheese and tuna or ham. Cheese and a handful of peanuts are a good snack.

MuchLessTiredNow · 05/01/2009 12:48

be very careful - I did India Knight enthusiastically, but although I lost weight, I gave myself kidneystones in the process....

travellingwilbury · 05/01/2009 12:53

Thanks Ormirian , a ham salad it is

I haven't heard of the India Knight one , is it close to Atkins ? Sorry to hear about the kidney stones that sounds painful

OP posts:
FairLadyRantALot · 05/01/2009 13:03

hm...how easy or difficult it is can depend on your own body...I had to come off the pill to see any effects...once off the weight started dropping off better,whilst on the pill I was unable to get into Ketosis.
However, I had to eat such low carb way to stay in Ketosis that I started missing fruit and vegetables.... I mena, I had to be careful even with greens and could only eat the smallest portions of anything vegiewice and even berries caused probs...

like I said, I don't think it is for everyone...!
Also, whilst losing weight, a lot of people commented on how pasty I started to look....not really the kinda comment I was hoping for!

Tbh, I did Jason Vales Juicing last year and it made me lose weight far far easier and I actually felt really really good...!His 7Ibs in 7days really works
I now do SW and that seems to me the most sensible one...although WW is good, too....well, depends on what you like, etc...

MrsSeanBean · 05/01/2009 13:08

It is great, so effective and after a day or two without carbs your appetite is suppressed and you don't miss pasta etc.
Just cram in lots of meat and cheese.
It is difficult if you are veggie.

When I do it properly the weight drops off and then after a month or so I just revert back to normal 'health eating', but the appetite reduction seems to last.
Until, that is, you cave in and have a chocolate biccie. Then it all goes to pot ('pot' being my current state).

travellingwilbury · 06/01/2009 10:36

Well I am on day 2 now and so far so good , I do think it could get boring after a while though . The main meals are ok but its the 3 o clock in the afternoon when I want something to keep me going till dinner that I am going to struggle with .

I can't do nuts as I have a very allergic boy in the house and I would worry to much about having them around .

I will be so pleased if I can not be such a carb monster after all this so I am determined to keep it going .

Any advice would be great

OP posts:
MrsSeanBean · 06/01/2009 10:58

Wilbury, mid afternoon snack ideas: cheese chunks or cocktail sausages, carrot sticks with a really creamy dip.

stitch · 06/01/2009 11:00

you cann not do it for a couple of weeks. you either do it for life, or at least a few years, oryou dont.
it is much easier than it seems, once you get beyond the first week, and much healthier than it seems at first glance as well. but ifyouare a vegatarian, it is almost impossible to do.

travellingwilbury · 06/01/2009 11:11

Thanks for tha snack ideas , and I know you are right stitch , tbh the diet had always seemed really unhealthy to me in the past as I hadn't actually read up on it properly I had just heard all the stories of red meat , cheese and cream but after reading more about it I can see how you can sustain it .

Its just hard to change my mindset away from bread and pasta being a staple

OP posts:
pipsqueak · 07/01/2009 23:49

re earlier posting has anyone heard of a link between low carb/high protein diet and kidney stones? i am about to emabrk on low carb diet but was a littel concerned by Muchlesstired now post above. ... i'm proably just looking for an excuse to put this off /abandon the idea( and stay fat!) but would be interested to know

Renni · 08/01/2009 00:00

As said by others be very carefull. My friend did it and after being on it a while became very ill. Ive found after trying lots of diets that slimming world works best for me. It is a change of eating habits so it is sustainable. Lost the weight quite quickly at first 4 to 6lbs a week. Somtimes more. Then 2 to 3lbs a week. Add a little excersise. Dont go mad you wont keep it up. And da da 3 stone lighter. Hope that helps

MuchLessTiredNow · 08/01/2009 09:26

when they analysed my stone, they said it was caused by a high fat and high protein diet - a calcium carbonate stone - you may want to look at the south beach diet - same sort of principle but with less saturated fat.

MuchLessTiredNow · 08/01/2009 09:27

renni - how long did it take you to lose the 3 stone? how many dress sizes did you go down?

Wispabarsareback · 08/01/2009 09:49

How's it all going travellingwilbury? The approach you're taking is how I lost weight - I definitely recommend it. I lost 2 stone over six months or so more than a year ago, and have kept the weight off.

India Knight's book is pretty good, and I pretty much followed that, at least to begin with. The first two weeks are hard going - but less hard than I'd expected. After the first couple of weeks I did reintroduce carbs, but in much more limited quantities than before - so I didn't feel deprived. It's all a question, I think, of 'retraining' yourself, and not automatically reaching for the cake or piling the plate with pasta or roast potatoes.

Nowadays I feel as if I eat more or less what I want, but with thought and care - ie small portions of spaghetti, big portions of the sauce that's going with it. As much cheese as I want, but only one or two crackers, not half a pack. And I have managed to break my crisp habit (although I can't give up biscuits entirely!)

Another thing I find helpful is to eat fewer carbs later in the day. So I sometimes have a sandwich at lunchtime (tho not every day) but just meat or fish and vegetables (and cheese and nuts for snacking) in the evening.

Some non-carb lunch ideas: tuna or chicken salad, smoked salmon and cream cheese, omelettes, soup made with green vegetables.

travellingwilbury · 08/01/2009 10:48

Thanks for asking , I am doing pretty well surprisingly for me . I am finding it ok at the moment and I am trying to stick to more chicken than red meat as I can't believe a lot of red meat is that good for you . I am a bit worried about all the eggs as well but so far so good .

I am having a lot of fish and wafer thin ham so hopefully I will manage to keep healthy .

I have found I am sleeping loads better as well .

OP posts:
JaneLumley · 08/01/2009 11:29

To answer the OP's question, India Knight and the friend IS Atkins, but with more veggies than original Atkins allows - so many that it's hard for me to stay in ketosis on it. People are v. individual about this.

Think it's all rubbish about it messing w/your metabolism. I alternate it with cabbage soup at this time of year and with juicing in summer. What does happen is that sold/sugary carbs become hard to digest; you tend to get a big tummyache after a binge. Thsi is a good disincentive!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

travellingwilbury · 12/01/2009 07:30

Well I have done a week now and I have just stepped on the scales and so far I have lost 7 pounds

I am obviously really pleased , I have 2 more stone ish to lose and I know it won't all come off that quickly but I am finding the diet healthier than I thought and easier than I thought .I think because I am not having the carb heavy food I am not really craving it either .

Fingers crossed for this week

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.