Threads

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. You may wish to speak to a medical professional before starting any diet.

How to not hate myself while still on journey

FluffyMcCloud · 07/10/2018 10:04

I’m fat. I’m ugly and I’m fat. I’m doing something about the fat, the ugly I’m kinda stuck with.

But I’m dieting, and exercising, and I’m losing weight but it’s sloooow. 5lb in 6 weeks so far. I’m not too fussed about the slowness really, I know it will come off eventually, but I’m struggling with self hatred in the meantime.

I went out last night, thought I looked ok, friend sent me some pics this morning of the night out and I look awful. My friends are all Actually Beautiful and I am a lump.

I need to lose 2 stone minimum, 3 to look good. And at my current rate, and factoring in a few weeks of no gain here and there, that’s gonna take me a while.

I hate looking in the mirror. I had my hair cut on Friday to make myself feel better and it looks awful, doesn’t suit me at all.

What can I do to not hate myself for the next 6 months?! This weight has crept up on my slowly but I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been, even when pregnant Sad

My self esteem has always been low but I feel at rock bottom! How do I help myself feel better while in the process of trying to look better?!

Thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

theluckiest · 07/10/2018 10:17

I don't know the answer either but just wanted to tell you that you're not alone.

I could have written your post this morning. Went to a wedding yesterday and thought I looked pretty good. Felt happy and confident. Got lots of compliments and even a few decent photos.

Then at the end of the night, an old man asked if I was pregnant. I have never deflated so fast. I cried in the loo!! And still feel emotional this morning.

One stupid comment (honestly, I didn't look that bad) and all my self esteem has come crashing down. I know I looked nice but, god, it's shit isn't it?

I bet you looked lovely.

Please
or

katmarie · 07/10/2018 10:26

Try and focus on the fact that you are doing something which is an important goal for you. You are taking steps in a direction which is important for you, and you are getting it done at a safe and healthy pace. You've made that commitment to yourself and you're following through on it. That alone is a good reason to be proud of yourself.

Please
or

Dontgiveamonkeys1350 · 07/10/2018 21:12

Focus on the smaller things. Have u Googled what a pound of fat looks like? Have a look. It is far more than u think.

Don’t give up. It really really makes a difference when u can start seeing a difference in ur clothes.

Set urself smaller targets. I want to get to 8 stone. But that is far to in the future. So I have set a smaller target of 10 stone by Christmas.

I have just got back into my smaller jeans. That felt fab. It will get easier when u can see the results. But u just need to keep going until u get there. Keep going. Don’t stop.

Please
or

theluckiest · 07/10/2018 22:05

Do you know, having had the day I've had, I think exercise really is one of the key things.

As I said, I had a horrible knockback yesterday & felt like absolute shit this morning. So I went for a run. Am doing a half marathon next week (Confused) so I'd already planned it. Nearly cried off but I forced myself into my trainers and set off.

I now feel much better about myself. I still feel fat and unhappy but I'm on the way and doing something about it. I may have a lardy arse and belly but fuck it, I ran 10 miles today so bollocks to the man who made me feel shit yesterday. Grin

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.