Please
or
to access all these features

Join the chat on our Weight Loss forum.

Weight loss chat

calling all the GI experts!!!!

6 replies

gingerninjasmum · 05/10/2006 11:54

Right,I'm a complete Newbie to the GI thing but could someone please tell me if I'm right in thinking that a common old tin of beans(low GI and 280 cals a tin)is better for my lunch than a wholemeal sandwich?? Its so confusing!!!! Sorry to ask a silly question

OP posts:
mancmum · 05/10/2006 11:56

guess it depends on what is in sandwich -- sugar would be a no no but hummous or something similar might be OK!

robin3 · 05/10/2006 11:56

Baked beans are low GI and you have to be very careful what bread you eat...so yes you're bang on.

There is a loaf of bread made by Burgen that states low GI on the packet. You can buy it in Sainsburys. Other than that I'm never sure which breads are ok and which are not but the guidelines say wholegrain.

Hope this helps.

gingerninjasmum · 05/10/2006 12:16

great thanks girls!!!! So beans are ok and burgen bread with protein filling. Gosh i hope this gets easier.

OP posts:
robin3 · 05/10/2006 12:27

Easiest thing for lunches are soups and large salads with proteins (chicken, prawns, bacon) etc. In this weather you could have a few warm new potatoes with salad to pad it out. Great with crispy bacon and a fried egg. Also adding nuts and seeds to salads really makes them more interesting IMO. Good luck...it really works.

Saker · 05/10/2006 14:05

Ooooh I don't know about baked beans - the sauce is packed with sugar and GI =56 - you are better off with beans without sauce e.g. haricot beans, kidney beans etc.

GI database here if that helps determine the best foods.

Good luck

gingerninjasmum · 07/10/2006 08:45

ooooh that sounds really tasty robin cheers!! thanks for the database saker. xxxxxx

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.