Join the chat on our Weight Loss forum.

Weight loss chat

Low Fat Recipes

5 replies

Beccarollover · 17/02/2004 20:07

Post your recipe ideas here.......

OP posts:
Demented · 22/02/2004 23:13

Been meaning to post this for a while. A tip from a woman's mag so apologies to anyone who has read it already.

Instead of:-

4 Multi-grain Ryvita with 50g cottage cheese followed by a banana (292 cals, 5g fat).

Try:-

175g serving of boiled wholewheat spagetti with 1stp olive oil and a crushed garlic clove. Sprinkle over 2 heaped tsp Parmesan. Follow with half a cantaloupe melon (296 cals, 9g fat).

I know which I would prefer for lunch!

Demented · 23/02/2004 10:32

Oh and one of my favourite dinners when everyone else in the family is having something fattening. This is probably really obvious and really basic, if so ignore me:-

Get out a big bowl, then a bag of nice salad leaves (Aldi Gourmet is nice), plonk about half the bag of salad in the bowl (I use a pasta bowl and half the bag usually fills it), sprinkle with some Maldon Sea Salt and splash lemon juice over the top. In a separate bowl make some Prawn Marie Rose (two tablespoons low fat mayo, a squirt of tomato sauce, splash of Worcester Sauce, mix tog then add loads of cooked, peeled prawns, 200g maybe?). Dollop the prawn mixture on top of the salad leaves and tuck-in. This would also work well with cooked chicken or tuna, without the Marie Rose dressing, maybe just with a blob of mayo on the top.

Demented · 23/02/2004 10:34

Doh, I forgot before you put the sea salt and lemon juice on the salad cut up some spring onions (2 maybe) and cut a large tomato into eighths and sprinkle over the salad then continue with the salt etc.

Demented · 23/02/2004 10:39

Can I tell you about the wonderful salad I had when I was out the other week?

Chicken Fruit Salad

This salad was a small pile of salad leaves, a cooked skinless chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, loads of strawberries sliced up, grapes, small amount of tinned chopped pineapple, a blob of cream cheese (pick something low fat), a few segments of tinned sliced peaches and I think there was some red onion although that could be a figment of my imagination.

Anyway it was delicious and healthy (would be even yummier when the strawberries are in season) and easy to recreate something similar.

Demented · 07/04/2004 15:43

Had this the other night and it was very yummy and quick!

PRAWN DOPIAZA (Serves 4)

2 Tablespoons veg oil (could get by with less)
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon onion seeds (Nigella seeds)
1 teaspoon grated garlic
1 teaspoon grated fresh root ginger
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
625g/1 1/4 lb raw tiger prawns, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves
1 tablespoon lemon juice
sea salt and pepper

1 Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan and add the onions. Cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 7-10 minutes, until golden brown.

2 Add the onion seeds, garlic, ginger, chilli powder and turmeric and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.

3 Add the prawns, coriander and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan and cook gently for 507 minutes, or until the prawns are cooked through. Serve hot.

We had this with boiled rice but you could try

MINI NAAN BREAD (makes 8)

225g self-raising flour
5g sachet easy-blend yeast
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds
2 tablespoons natural yoghurt, lightly beaten (low fat of course)
1 tablespoon melted butter, plus extra for brushing
4 tablespoons lukewarm milk
fresh coriander leaves, to garnish

1 In a large, warmed mixing bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, salt, cumin seeds, yogurt and butter. Add the milk and knead to make a soft dough. Cover with a lightly oiled sheet of polythene and leave to rest for 20-25 minutes in a warm (not hot) place.

2 Turn the dough out on to a large board or surface, llightly dusted with four, and knead for 3-4 minutes, or until smooth. Divide the dough into 8 portions and roll each one up into a ball.

3 With a rolling pin, roll each ball out into an oval or triangular shape, the size of a pitta bread.

4 Brush with melted butter (go easy on the butter ) and cook in batches, under a preheated hot grill for 2-3 minutes on each side. Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves.

Instead of the cumin seeds, you can use 1 teaspoon nigellas, poppy seeds, sesame seeds or 2 finely chopped garlic cloves.

As long as you don't eat all 8 these are pretty good I did work out the points when I ate both these things last week but can remember them now, each dish was pretty low though.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.