My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the chat on our Weight Loss forum.

Weight loss chat

Anyone else trying to lose about half a stone?

9 replies

BusyMissIzzy · 04/01/2011 12:21

I've lost about 18lbs since DD was 2mo (she's now 10mo), and have another 7lbs to lose. I'm counting calories, keeping to about 1600 a day, doing 20mins aerobics every weekday morning (DD's nap permitting) and running at weekends. I want to get to 120lbs and then do the 30 Day Shred again to lose the final couple of lbs and tone up.

Anyone else aiming to lose half a stone, or thereabouts? I feel like a bit of an interloper on the threads where people are trying to lose several stone Blush

OP posts:
DeckTheHallWithBowlsOfPomBears · 04/01/2011 16:01

Yes, me. I worked out today I would get my BMI to under 25 if I lost 5 lbs. Would ideally need to lose a bit more. But want to set an achievable goal. I have a DD of 9 months, but to be honest I am about the same as my pre-pregnancy weight and so I can't really blame that. I have settled into this weight for years and seem to be stuck.

I walk quite a lot and do 1 exercise class a week, sport once a week and a long cycle ride once a week. I am going to try and do a bit of weight training / Wii fit at home as well. I don't run. I'm sure it would help if I did.

How on earth do you count calories? I've never done it. It sounds like a drag.

BusyMissIzzy · 04/01/2011 16:14

Counting calories is a PITA at first, when you have to constantly look up calories in book or online, and sometimes (in a restaurant for example) it's more or less guesswork. But after a while you get a feel for it. I lost about 2 stone counting calories a few years ago, and now I find it hard not to mentally keep track of what I've eaten.

Running is great for calorie burning. When I started I could only manage about 1 min, so I alternated running/walking. After a few weeks I could run a mile, and eventually I was running 10-12 miles every Sunday. I'd definitely recommend it, but it sounds like you're doing a lot already.

OP posts:
BusyMissIzzy · 05/01/2011 10:04

Well, I'm not doing too badly so far but last night I ate half a Lindt chocolate Santa (the 125g ones). Only about 300 extra calories, just have to make sure I don't fall back into old habits.

OP posts:
EmmyVonN · 05/01/2011 11:10

I'll join. I'm also 127 and trying to get down to around 120. It's also baby weight - DS is now 10 months. I gained a huge amount while pregnant and have lost a stone and a half already.

I generally just try to eat healthily, balance food groups and control portion size. I have a huge bowl of oats in the morning, soup or chicken salad with a slice of toast for lunch and a veg/protein/carb supper. I make sure that I have small snacks (fruit, yoghurt, crackers) between meals so that I don't get too hungry.

This has worked well these last few months but I have only maintained rather than lost during the holidays.

EmmyVonN · 05/01/2011 11:16

Oh, and I have a glass of wine and a small bit of chocolate every night. I think that occasional chocolate is probably not a bad thing. I find denying myself small treats leads to bingeing.

BusyMissIzzy · 05/01/2011 11:42

You sound like you're in a similar place to me Emmy. I have porridge for breakfast (with dried apricots and almonds), something like soup/sandwich/beans on toast for lunch, and a balanced dinner. Also snack on fruit, and though I'm trying hard to resist chocolate we have quite a bit left from Christmas and I'm finding it hard not to eat a bit here and there, which all adds up. I'm quite pleased I only put on 1lb over Christmas, especially as I wasn't really exercising.

I'm just waiting for DD to have a nap so I can do my daily workout. I miss the days when her routine was predictable!

OP posts:
DeckTheHallWithBowlsOfPomBears · 05/01/2011 12:53

My problem is snacking at around 6-7pm. My 2 older kids have their dinner around then. So I end up swiping a few things off their plates. Very slummy mummy, I know. And failing that I'll start munching on peanuts. When I eat with the kids, it's fine, but usually DH gets home a bit later and wants to eat with me. So I snack to keep me going.

I completely agree re. the chocolates Emmy. Grin. Trying to give the wine a miss though, now Christmas is over. I am thinking maybe 3 nights / week for wine (instead of 7 Blush)

EmmyVonN · 05/01/2011 13:08

Almost identical :) Though leftover chocolate won't survive long in our house.

Do you have a time goal? I'm thinking the end of February - that's roughly seven weeks.

BusyMissIzzy · 05/01/2011 13:14

I'm the same PomBear, I start getting hungry about 5pm, but DH doesn't get home till at least 6.30. I think I need to make sure I have a 'substantial' snack at about 4pm, otherwise I end up eating lots of little things.

Well, the good news is that DD is asleep and I managed to do my 20mins aerobics, have a shower and eat lunch (soup and 2 slices bread). If I'd known she was going to nap this long I could've exercised more, but her naps are variable and I don't want to risk her waking up before I'm showered. The bad news is that I've just finished the other half of the chocolate Santa. That's my only chocolate for the day though. Honest Grin

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.