Please
or
to access all these features

Weaning

Switching to cows milk/amount of bottles

10 replies

Chans11 · 20/11/2022 09:31

Hi all

I’m after some advice for my 11m old who is 1 on the 30th. How did everyone switch to cows milk and how many bottles/ounces did you LOs have? Plus what cup/bottle did you use? My girl still has 4 (2 8oz and 2 5oz) i have tried cutting out but she just cries till she gets it. Weaning has been slow but she is getting there and starting to eat more. I keep reading they MUST be on 3 meals, snacks and 2 bottles by one but i cant see us getting there. Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

PritiPatelsMaker · 22/11/2022 19:37

Is she having a bottle first thing @Chans11 and do you have a DP/DH?

If so, you can try dropping the first bottle by getting them to take LO straight downstairs for breakfast.

You can swap the formula for Cow's Milk on one go and ignore the protests or you could try swapping 1 floz of the formula at a time.

So if she's having an 8 floz bottle, make 7floz and add a floz of Cow's milk, then in a couple of days swap another floz for Cow's milk until she's swapped over entirely.

Me though, I'd just swap and ignore the protests Grin

Please
or

Chans11 · 22/11/2022 19:55

Hi yes i normally give her a bottle straight away, i will try breakfast first tomorrow! I’m thinking of doing a gradual approach as she has suffered between constipation and diarhea recently so not sure if good idea just going straight to cows milk..sure it will just be trial and error though!!

OP posts:
Please
or

PritiPatelsMaker · 22/11/2022 19:59

If she's swinging between constipation and diarrhoea and is reluctant to eat much solid food, has anyone suggested the possibility of Cow's Milk Protein Allergy?

Please
or

LunaCrystal · 22/11/2022 20:01

My youngest has just turned 1. We have gradually been exposing her to cows milk over the last few weeks, in her breakfast and in a zippy cup. Now I’ve started to add a bit of the cows milk to her bottles. We have allergies in our family so I have to do it carefully and keep an eye on how it goes.

She has 3 meals a day but still has 4 bottles a day too, 5-7oz each. I don’t see a problem with this, I know from experience that when she’s ready she will start to drink less. But whilst she wants to drink it we are letting her. Your little one sounds like she wants the milk like mine does ☺️

She has a bottle when she wakes at 7:30am and breakfast at 9am after I’ve done the school run. She also has a bottle early afternoon, one early evening and one at night.

Please
or

ijustlikefood · 22/11/2022 20:21

My LG was still on 4 bottles at 1, one after breakfast, one before bedtime then a dreamfeed and still a night feed.
She dropped the dreamfeed and night feed herself 3 weeks after she was 1, she's now 18months and still has one morning and evening and we will continue to offer that too her until she drops them.
I wouldn't worry about it there's nothing wrong with them still having it

Please
or

OddsocksinmyDocs · 22/11/2022 21:32

Our daughter was ill when she was 11 months old (viral infection) and completely went off her food/milk. We decided to just give her cows milk and she's been on it ever since Smile She had two bottles of formula within the first couple of weeks when we struggled to settle her but apart from that, cow milk Smile

Please
or

Chans11 · 23/11/2022 04:28

PritiPatelsMaker · 22/11/2022 19:59

If she's swinging between constipation and diarrhoea and is reluctant to eat much solid food, has anyone suggested the possibility of Cow's Milk Protein Allergy?

I think there is a possibility, we have sent a stool sample off so if comes back clear I am going to ask about this. Thank you for the link

OP posts:
Please
or

Chans11 · 23/11/2022 04:30

Thanks for all your replies! I am just going to follow her lead but thinking i need to tweak routine slightly, just annoys me when HVs say they should only be having two but easily said than done!

OP posts:
Please
or

sjxoxo · 23/11/2022 05:06

I would think adding cows milk gradually is best. I’m a bit behind you - baby is just 11 months, but he’s eating 3 meals, a snack and 4 bottles a day.. there’s no way he’ll cut that to two by the time he gets to 1st birthday! I don’t think it matters if they carry on having bottles of milk and some cows milk after they reach one. I’m not going to drop and bottles as he loves his milk still; my plan is to just keep offering more food so he isn’t hungry and over time hope he’ll take less milk. He’s eating quite a lot of dairy already but still wants all his milk. No way will he take only 2 bottles though! Do what you think is most suited for your bubba never mind what the books say xox

Please
or

Chans11 · 23/11/2022 08:22

sjxoxo · 23/11/2022 05:06

I would think adding cows milk gradually is best. I’m a bit behind you - baby is just 11 months, but he’s eating 3 meals, a snack and 4 bottles a day.. there’s no way he’ll cut that to two by the time he gets to 1st birthday! I don’t think it matters if they carry on having bottles of milk and some cows milk after they reach one. I’m not going to drop and bottles as he loves his milk still; my plan is to just keep offering more food so he isn’t hungry and over time hope he’ll take less milk. He’s eating quite a lot of dairy already but still wants all his milk. No way will he take only 2 bottles though! Do what you think is most suited for your bubba never mind what the books say xox

Thats exactly what I’m going to do! Annoys me when they constantly bang on about needing to do things by a certain age as make you worry for no reason! Thanks for your reply xx

OP posts:
Please
or