Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Weaning

10 month old hardly eats

5 replies

lottie198 · 04/11/2022 08:22

My baby Started weaning at 6 months, never really taken to it. He will have a try but never really eats to eat (satisfy hunger) if that makes sense. He had a period where he was eating more (for about 2 weeks) and now gone back to eating nothing. He will probably have half a yoghurt the whole day. I eat with him, give him the spoon to self feed (he refuses to be spoon fed) . He chucks food or flings it on the floor or keeps pushing it away and cries to get down and play. He's just over 10 months now and I guess I thought we would have made some progress but we haven't and I am tired of making meals for it to end up on the floor. We currently do 3 meals a day.
I'm thinking whether to reduce back down to 2 meals a day?
I offer a wide range of foods (I love cooking). So breakfast for example toast with different toppings, fruit, porridge, weetabix ,shreddies, scrambled egg. Lunch is different homemade soups, jacket with cheese and beans, pasta etc. yoghurts , smoothie bowls. Dinner is a lot of one pot dishes like cottage pie, fish pie, casseroles etc. The only thing he will reliably eat is yoghurt. He is teething and has been unwell so not sure if that's just completely put him off? I've never put any pressure on him to eat. I can usually tell how the meal will go down within the first minute.
He's breast fed and still loves his milk , feeds about 3-4 times daily and 1-2 times in the night. Weight I'm not worried he's 99th centile. I always offer food in between breast feeds - example - morning feed 6am, breakfast 8am, mid morning feed 1030 , lunch 1pm.
I know it can be normal but just wanted advice of whether to cut the meals down or not? Or any other advice?

OP posts:
Please
or

PritiPatelsMaker · 04/11/2022 10:11

If he's unwell or teething I'd try not to worry. Give him a dose of ibuprofen before his morning feed as it's much better for dental pain than Calpol and a teething gel on his gums just before you offer the food.

Lots of BF babies do seem to take a while to get that food can satisfy hunger though.

Please
or

lottie198 · 04/11/2022 13:13

PritiPatelsMaker · 04/11/2022 10:11

If he's unwell or teething I'd try not to worry. Give him a dose of ibuprofen before his morning feed as it's much better for dental pain than Calpol and a teething gel on his gums just before you offer the food.

Lots of BF babies do seem to take a while to get that food can satisfy hunger though.

I will try that thank you .
Really ? I wonder why that is with breast fed babies? X

OP posts:
Please
or

PritiPatelsMaker · 04/11/2022 13:20

I wonder why that is with breast fed babies?

I've no idea. If I was to guess it would be that by 10 months most FF are used to handling the bottle themselves and are not necessarily held for every feed, so having food put in front of them instead of a bottle might not be such a huge leap. Whereas a BF baby will be held for all feeds so being put away from Mum abs given things to try might not necessarily make sense?

Please
or

lottie198 · 05/11/2022 08:46

PritiPatelsMaker · 04/11/2022 13:20

I wonder why that is with breast fed babies?

I've no idea. If I was to guess it would be that by 10 months most FF are used to handling the bottle themselves and are not necessarily held for every feed, so having food put in front of them instead of a bottle might not be such a huge leap. Whereas a BF baby will be held for all feeds so being put away from Mum abs given things to try might not necessarily make sense?

Noo this can't be why. My baby uses a straw cup independently and will drink 4oz breast milk out of it. He's developmentally so ready for solids. He can pick up tiny crumbs , hold is own spoon and bring to mouth etc.
really not sure why he's not into food though.... he hasn't been from 6 months when we started.

OP posts:
Please
or

PritiPatelsMaker · 05/11/2022 08:50

Ah well it was just a theory Grin

Hopefully things will pick up once he's over teething.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?