Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Weaning

Stopping breastfeeding

3 replies

HettyMeg · 25/10/2022 15:00

How can I stop breastfeeding? I've just recovered from a terrible bout of mastitis involving a hospital stay, borderline sepsis and IV antibiotics. I expressed while in hospital and have continued to express every few hours in order to clear the infection but I now want to stop breastfeeding. Is it a case of simply cutting out one expressing session every few days?

OP posts:
Please
or

Montague22 · 25/10/2022 15:12

Oh I really feel for you I had this. I did get sepsis but then needed another 3 lots of antibiotics trying to stop. You’ll need to be really careful.

What I tried:
Breast clinic said cold turkey- tried against my better judgement and got mastitis again. I’d even requested prophylactic antibiotics but they didn’t help.
Then it was suggested I pump and gradually express less each day to cut down ounce per ounce- again mastitis.
What worked in the end was to hand express in the bath every 2 hours. Had an abscess by now so needed more antibiotics but it worked.

Other two children I just stopped and made sure not to touch or brush against anything so not to as trigger let down. I think once you have the inflammation and scar tissue it’s not as easy though.

So I would hand express to take the edge off every couple hours in our out the bath.
You’ll need to take annual leave/sick leave.

Please
or

HettyMeg · 26/10/2022 12:21

Thanks for your reply @Montague22 , that sounds really hard. The breast clinic suggested I fully stop expressing but I have a feeling that won't work. It's hard because it is a fine balance between expressing to remove milk and be comfortable/prevent mastitis, and not expressing too much so that milk production eventually stops.

OP posts:
Please
or

queenofthewild · 26/10/2022 12:39

Hand expressing generally removes milk more gently and stimulates the body less than a pump.

I would recommend hand expressing enough to stay comfortable and not overfull but not enough to try and empty the breasts - breasts are never truly empty so the more you remove the more your body thinks it needs to make even more.

Gentle hand expression, particularly in a bath or shower is the way to go.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?