Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Weaning

19 month old fussy eater

3 replies

Lazymoo83 · 18/10/2022 19:26

My boy is 19 months old & is such a fussy eater.
He will not try new things, he will just throw it and not even try it if it's finger food.
We thought we had a breakthrough a few months ago as we got him eating chips, but he throws them again now.
He won't eat fruit or veg unless it's part of a meal.
He won't eat anything that is dry, so has all his meals ingredients mixed together.
So won't eat bread or toast. Used to eat breadsticks but won't anymore.
Every lunch is the same munchy fingers with cheese spread and melty snacks.
He won't have a single carrot but will have it as part of a meal when it's all mixed in.
So it's like we are at the 12 month stage still.
I can make him food but it has to be mashed and saucy.
I made him fish fingers, veg and sweet potato mash all mixed together tonight and we had a crying tantrum.
I made him a baby chilli con carne which is was saucy the other night and he ate it all. I work so can't be doing that every night.

He has just started feeding himself with a spoon, so I guess that is something I suppose..

Just not sure what to try next...

OP posts:
Please
or

PurBal · 18/10/2022 19:29

Can you make some of the things he likes in bulk and then freeze and reheat (like the chilli)? Then you won’t be cooking every night. It takes about 15 times to decide whether they like it or not and their taste buds are changing all the time so keep persevering.

Please
or

Lazymoo83 · 18/10/2022 21:02

PurBal · 18/10/2022 19:29

Can you make some of the things he likes in bulk and then freeze and reheat (like the chilli)? Then you won’t be cooking every night. It takes about 15 times to decide whether they like it or not and their taste buds are changing all the time so keep persevering.

I do have a freezer full now :-)
I am worried he won't ever want anything else, looking at other kids we know his age, they are eating so much of a variety of foods and I don't want him to miss out.
It's frustrating a lot of the time because he just won't try anything, he will pick it up and he will throw it or look at it and start flapping his arms and then crying.
I am hoping he will grow out of it. 🤞🏻
Just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience or having a similar experience and what they have had success with.

OP posts:
Please
or

PritiPatelsMaker · 30/10/2022 19:29

Ours was the opposite. DC2 wants everything separate.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?