Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Weaning

Need advice on weaning

4 replies

chara66 · 30/09/2022 17:59

So I'm not sure where to ask otherwise so I came here, basically I've been breastfeeding my son for 15 months now and I'm starting to wean slowly by just increasing the time between feeds by an hour ever month or so, it's working for us this way but my question is, should I be replacing some of the missing breatmilk with cows milk or formula? I'm leaning to whole milk since he's 15 months I think he's passed the age of need formula, then I wonder if I do give some whole milk how much a day? I breastfeed him now every 4 to 5 hours and will be increasing that to 6 shortly
Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post

OP posts:
Please
or

PritiPatelsMaker · 01/10/2022 07:38

You don't have to give Cow's Milk if you don't want to but you could offer a cup to see if he'll take it. Both of mine flatly refused Cow's milk until BFing had stopped completely, now they both love it.

I agree with you on the formula too, absolutely no need once they've reached 12 months and it's recommended to give them a daily vitamin tablet anyway until they're 5.

Maybe you could try him with a cup of milk and a snack mid morning or mid afternoon?

Please
or

blueberry23 · 01/10/2022 07:39

I stopped bf when my son was 17 months and I just give him a cup of whole milk first thing and another cup at bedtime.

Sometimes he drinks it sometimes he doesn't!

Please
or

PritiPatelsMaker · 01/10/2022 07:55

Now I think about it I did it pretty much like blueberry really.

If you've got a DP/DH get them to get LO up in the morning and give them breakfast and a cup of milk instead of the first BF. Once you've cut that one out and you've both had time to adjust, maybe a couple of weeks, knock the bedtime feed on the head and offer milk instead. We did this by me going out at bedtime and DH offering a cup of milk instead.

Please
or

chara66 · 05/10/2022 19:49

thanks for the replies, I decided to start giving a cup with his lunch it's been a couple days and he doesn't really seem to like it, he's finished it once but not ubtill later in the evening so I'll keep offering and let him decide if he wants, thanks for your help, just didn't want bubs going hungry 😊

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?