Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Weaning

Finding weaning nearly 10m old stressful!

7 replies

Chans11 · 26/09/2022 18:05

Hi all

My little one is almost 10 months, I have been doing mainly traditional weaning with the odd bit of finger food however she still gags a fair bit (sometimes to the point wheres she sick) and only has a couple of spoonsful. I’m now wondering if the lumpy purree texture is what is making her gag as she dont know what to do with it. Would it be best to now take a BLW approach? Has anyone else dealt with this and everywhere I look babies are having huge plates of food with no issues!

many thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

britneyisfree · 26/09/2022 20:51

Bumping for you. I'm not sure if it's too late to do BLW.

There's a group on fb called baby led weaning for beginners. It's fantastic. I think there's an age where the babies reflux changes so you can't just switch, but I'm sure someone else will be along with more helpful advice.

Please
or

Exhaustedmoose · 26/09/2022 20:59

Bollocks, I started off with puree then brought in BLW in addition to weaning. I have had the best eater amongst my mum friends, not quantity unfortunately but definitely on variety and acceptance to new foods. Stick with it, it's hard, maybe you've gone a step further than they're ready for. I did this with mine a few times.

Please
or

Exhaustedmoose · 26/09/2022 21:00

Sorry in addition to traditional weaning

Please
or

wibblewobbleball · 26/09/2022 21:05

I think there's a lot of misleading information about weaning timescales - totally normal for a 10 month old to still be getting used to things. Please don't worry. Scale back your expectations, and don't worry about how much she's actually eating. Stop spoon feeding and instead offer her the spoon and any purée or mashed food you want to give, alongside soft finger foods. Try as much as possible to have something similar with her. So tomorrow morning she could have yogurt to make a mess with and strawberries to try. A melty stick or a biscotti to play with later on while you are making a cuppa and doing the dishwasher. A little of your chunky soup and a toast finger with you at lunch time. A spoon of beef and veg stew with mash with you at dinner time with fingers of soft pear. That's plenty of tastes and textures and I would only expect her to eat a little eat time. Lots of babies don't get into food until they're over a year old. She will get there eventually OP.

Please
or

BertieBotts · 26/09/2022 21:18

Try not to worry, it's totally fine to go at her pace, not all babies are chowing down on huge plates of food at 10mo and you haven't done anything wrong.

IME quite a lot of babies struggle with the lumpy puree stage, you could just skip it? If she's doing a bit of finger food and a bit of spoon feeding, then don't bother with lumpy jars, if you need some ready made food, try the Hipp trays for 12m+ as these have more of a texture of real food, or just roughly mash up some of your food or try offering her bits of your own meals e.g. chicken with white sauce and rice - mix some sauce into the rice and try that, shred the chicken into little strands using a fork and try that, or something like shepherd's pie that can all get mushed into the potato, mine have loved that kind of thing at this age (but DS3 struggles with the texture of rice recently). You can also keep feeding smoother purees alongside the mashed food and finger foods.

Does she have a good pincer grip (can pick up individual raisins, or peas, or cheerios between thumb and finger and eat them?) I think this is quite key to them being able to handle smaller pieces and if she doesn't have much of a pincer grip yet, I would give her lots of opportunity to practice this (interspersed with smoother purees or chunkier finger foods, so she doesn't get frustrated.)

The idea that the baby's reflexes change and you "can't" do baby led weaning after a certain age is totally made up, take everything you read in groups like that with a massive pinch of salt unless it's actually backed up somewhere that is not facebook.

Please
or

Chans11 · 27/09/2022 06:15

Thank you all for your replies! I really wanted to enjoy weaning but just finding it really difficult. Even with traditional weaning, babies eventually must do blw anyway without even realising, i just dont see the point in rushing it too much! I may try to do more things she can grab herself off plate as I think its the texture of purree shes now on keen on. We shall see!!

OP posts:
Please
or

wibblewobbleball · 27/09/2022 10:07

You're not alone - I found weaning really difficult and stressful and didn't enjoy it at all. Then I made the decision to relax and just do easy stuff and take our time, and trust she would get there - she did! So long as baby is getting plenty of milk still don't stress it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?