Please
or
to access all these features

Weaning

10 month old solids

33 replies

Candymanmummy · 26/09/2022 14:54

Hi any mums out there need advice

My ds is 10 months and I've been using ellas kitchen meals since he was 6 months old which he lovesI've tried fresh foods but not interested. He will eat cheerios and puffs. I've tried bread, pitta bread, fresh fruits, mash, fresh veg. Some people have told me I'm doing the weaning wrong so I'm stressing out and my anxiety is thru the roof. Am I wrong? Any help or advice is warmly needed x

OP posts:
Please
or

YellowTreeHouse · 26/09/2022 15:56

Just give baby whatever you eat cut appropriately (solid starts is a great reference for this), and obviously mind the sugar/salt content and no honey before 1.

Baby doesn’t learn how to eat with pouches and being spoonfed. They need proper meals so they can learn how to use cutlery, how to take appropriate size bites, how to chew and swallow etc.

Until 1 food isn’t to fill them up but to help them learn how to eat and explore tastes and textures. So it doesn’t matter if he doesn’t eat any of it or chuck it all on the floor as milk is still his main source of nutrition.

Your job is not to fill him up or make him eat but to offer food, sit with him and eat the same and show him how it’s done.

Please
or

howdoesatoastermaketoast · 26/09/2022 16:04

I agree with @YellowTreeHouse and would add to google for baby led weaning, dd loved noting more than to just go at a banana - messy as hell to clean up but the baby likes it ime. For us small strips of wholemeal toast spread with preferred baby food as a toast topper was a winner. (we had a ton of homemade baby food in the freezer we wanted to use up). Don't let people get in your head too much about what your baby should be doing or should be eating but do listen to the shouldn'ts from reputable health care sources (if that makes sense)

Please
or

Milkand2sugarsplease · 26/09/2022 16:07

When you eat, give baby a small portion and let them play with it.

"Food is fun before they're one"

Please
or

Twizbe · 26/09/2022 16:18

You've not done anything wrong.

I went for traditional weaning with DC1 and Ella's kitchen pouches. He had some medical issues where we needed to know exactly how many calories he was eating.

Anyway, around 10 months he was well enough for us to move away from pouches. We started offering our dinner to him as finger food and then do spoon fed pudding. We'd also do some sandwiches for lunch.

He eats really well now and no issues.

I wanted to spoon feed my DD too as it's so much less mess. She wasn't having any of it though.

There is no right or wrong way to wean so don't stress it. No matter what you do they hit 1 and refuse to eat anything that isn't beige anyway.

Please
or

Twizbe · 26/09/2022 16:19

Oh and I hate that food before 1 saying. It's just as bad as breast is best.

Please
or

howdoesatoastermaketoast · 26/09/2022 16:21

www.babyledweaning.com/some-tips-to-get-you-started/

10 months isn't too late to start, do let as much of the anxiety go as possible. Concentrate on being fun and sociable and don't take it too hard if food ends up everywhere but his mouth it doesn't mean he doesn't like that food it just means he's still a beginner.

Please
or

Candymanmummy · 27/09/2022 18:30

Thank u for the replies. So if he doesn't eat any our foods at meal times do we do purees so he's getting something. Am worried bout him going hungry. He is still having 4 bottles we have reduced 1 bottle as he was getting purees in system. Any hp please

OP posts:
Please
or

YellowTreeHouse · 27/09/2022 18:58

No you don’t need to give him purées if he doesn’t eat solids. He won’t go hungry - his main nutrition until 1 is milk. Food isn’t to fill him up at this point.

My daughter didn’t eat more than a bite or two of anything at each meal until 12 months, sometimes not even that.

Your job isn’t to fill him up. It’s to offer good and allow him to learn and experience how mealtimes work so that when it does matter that he eats, he knows how to.

Please
or

YellowTreeHouse · 27/09/2022 18:59

Oh and don’t reduce bottles in favour of food until after 1. That’s really important.

Please
or

Candymanmummy · 27/09/2022 19:28

Thank u so much I really appreciate ur help

OP posts:
Please
or

howdoesatoastermaketoast · 27/09/2022 23:55

yeah think of solid food as a learning toy basically, he's learning about food and co - ordination and feeding himself.

Please
or

Candymanmummy · 30/09/2022 08:12

Again thank u for ur advice ds has started to put food on mouth.weetabix today and bit of brocoli and potato waffle yestetday

OP posts:
Please
or

DelurkingAJ · 30/09/2022 08:15

And, despite what people say, it’s very common for babies not to eat solids until about 10 or 11 months…we were close to panic with DS2 as he was breastfed and I was back to work and he wasn’t eating. He started eating from nothing to full meals (albeit baby sized) in about two days flat when he suddenly decided he was interested at about 10.5 months.

Please
or

YellowTreeHouse · 30/09/2022 08:57

That’s great news 😊

Please
or

Candymanmummy · 01/10/2022 17:28

My ds is Now having major crying tantrums every meal time. Now not interested in food. Is this normal?

OP posts:
Please
or

YellowTreeHouse · 01/10/2022 17:38

My ds is Now having major crying tantrums every meal time. Now not interested in food. Is this normal?

Yes that’s normal. Don’t react. Mealtimes need to be stress free and no pressure. Offer food, place it on the table, and eat with him.

Don’t try and feed him, don’t try and get him to try anything, don’t tell him off for playing of throwing.

Just put it down and if he eats, great. If he doesn’t, not a problem. But he’s likely getting upset because he’s feeling the tension in the air and feeling pressure.

Please
or

viques · 01/10/2022 17:46

Yes, they go though phases,mine only ate yogurt and red pepper for about a month …… it’s nice for him to see meal times as social times though even if he doesn’t want to eat, you could put him in his high chair with a spoon to play with while you eat. Maybe put a bit of grated cheese, well spread out, or a few bits of broccoli on the tray for him to try to pick up in his fingers. It’s all learning!

Please
or

Candymanmummy · 01/10/2022 17:59

Thank u will try x

OP posts:
Please
or

YellowTreeHouse · 01/10/2022 18:26

At this age he shouldn’t just be presented with a few bits of cheese or broccoli. He needs to be given actual meals, baby sized versions of what you’re having, so he understands what’s happening.

No pressure to eat though. Just placed in front of him. But he’s already 10 months so the time for playing around with bits of cheese or sticks of broccoli has long passed.

Please
or

viques · 01/10/2022 18:44

YellowTreeHouse · 01/10/2022 18:26

At this age he shouldn’t just be presented with a few bits of cheese or broccoli. He needs to be given actual meals, baby sized versions of what you’re having, so he understands what’s happening.

No pressure to eat though. Just placed in front of him. But he’s already 10 months so the time for playing around with bits of cheese or sticks of broccoli has long passed.

If you read what the OP has written then the child is getting very agitated at meal times. At ten months it is still fine for a child to be getting its nutritional needs met by milk. What the op doesn’t want is for issues with eating and mealtimes to become a battleground, so dialling back expectations is a way to diffuse the situation and restore the child’s attitude to eating food independently , I am not suggesting that grated cheese and broccoli provide the child’s nutritional need.

Please
or

YellowTreeHouse · 01/10/2022 18:51

viques · 01/10/2022 18:44

If you read what the OP has written then the child is getting very agitated at meal times. At ten months it is still fine for a child to be getting its nutritional needs met by milk. What the op doesn’t want is for issues with eating and mealtimes to become a battleground, so dialling back expectations is a way to diffuse the situation and restore the child’s attitude to eating food independently , I am not suggesting that grated cheese and broccoli provide the child’s nutritional need.

And if you’ve read what I’ve written I’m quite clearly well aware of that. He is getting agitated because there is a pressure to eat.

He needs to know what mealtimes are and how they work. So he should be presented with a meal and left to it, and the family eats the same meal alongside him.

It doesn’t matter if he eats it or throws it. But he shouldn’t be cajoled or pressured or asked to try it, nobody should be getting stressed or annoyed or upset if he doesn’t eat.

But he is far too old for bits and pieces. He needs to know what mealtimes are even if he doesn’t want to participate in them yet. I absolutely agree dialling back expectations - but don’t give him the food you’d give to a 6 month old starting out.

Please
or

Chans11 · 03/10/2022 21:57

I am currently having the same happen with my little one who is the same age. I have come to accept that it will just take time. I am now trying to do more proper meals instead of pouches/jars with more finger food.

I too thought I was doing it wrong but this is exactly how kids were weaned years ago..including myself who now eats pretty much everything!

Please
or

Candymanmummy · 05/10/2022 09:23

So breakfast had made progress loves his baby cereal with mixed mulesi in. Hands straight in and in mouth still no fruit but this is progress. Lunch and dinner still just nothing but a spoon is helping with crying and hates a bib now.

OP posts:
Please
or

howdoesatoastermaketoast · 07/10/2022 20:48

YellowTreeHouse · 01/10/2022 17:38

Yes that’s normal. Don’t react. Mealtimes need to be stress free and no pressure. Offer food, place it on the table, and eat with him.

Don’t try and feed him, don’t try and get him to try anything, don’t tell him off for playing of throwing.

Just put it down and if he eats, great. If he doesn’t, not a problem. But he’s likely getting upset because he’s feeling the tension in the air and feeling pressure.

yup 💯this. You be as happy and relaxed as you can manage, l.o. will (eventually) follow your lead.

Please
or

Candymanmummy · 16/10/2022 17:31

he's still not liking soft foods still only eats wafers puffs and his cereal. He's screaming all way thru mealtimes unless we give in and give him a puff stick. I've tried eating in outr conversatory and our kitchen still no luck. I've mashed up potatoes veg egg tried toast fruits still nothing.
He will eat breakfast no.problem only cereal. Is this still normal after this length of time???? Keep crying ova this. Tried ringing health visitor team but keep getting cut off.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?