Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Weaning

2 year old won't eat sandwiches anymore

18 replies

eatsleeprepeat123 · 20/09/2022 08:24

As the title says my nearly 2 year old will not touch sandwiches anymore! He used to love them but now won't touch them. What other things do you do for lunch?

He likes cheese and crackers and cheese and chive scones, but I'm struggling for other ideas! Toast he rarely eats either.

He has his main meal in the evening with us so doesn't need a full meal.

Thanks in advance :)

OP posts:
Please
or

OldTinHat · 20/09/2022 08:27

Wraps, soup, beans on toast, scrambled egg??

Please
or

Needmorelego · 20/09/2022 08:30

My daughter won't eat sandwiches but she is quite happy with bread and butter and the bits you can put in a sandwich (ham, cheese, cucumber etc) on the side.
When she was your sons age she used to eat sandwich pickle with a spoon πŸ˜‚

Please
or

IWasFunBeforeMum · 20/09/2022 08:52

Mine struggle with sandwiches but quite happily eat a wrap! Maybe give that a go.i think because it's less heavy on the bread they find them easier to eat. I buy the mini ones

Please
or

Defaultsettings · 20/09/2022 08:54

My son doesn’t eat sandwiches or toast but eats cheese on toast, toasties or panino. Apparently they are different.

Please
or

Geranium1984 · 20/09/2022 08:55

My son is 2 and generally doesn't like sandwiches... unless we are out at a cafe or I'm eating a pret/ m&s sandwich, then he's interested πŸ™„

For lunch I usually do toast/bagel/wrap/pastry pinwheels with sandwich type fillings on the side like ham, cucumber, carrot, cheese, cottage cheese, hummus, avocado, fruit. Mini muffins. A bit of a picnic selection.

Cold pasta with pesto and veg sticks.

He has recently started liking pizza so I occasionally get a kids pizza from the supermarket and put extra cheese and some mushrooms on top.

On a weekend I'll do a veg English breakfast type thing with eggs and beans, mushrooms etc. or occasionally pancakes.

Please
or

Dinoteeth · 20/09/2022 08:56

Needmorelego · 20/09/2022 08:30

My daughter won't eat sandwiches but she is quite happy with bread and butter and the bits you can put in a sandwich (ham, cheese, cucumber etc) on the side.
When she was your sons age she used to eat sandwich pickle with a spoon πŸ˜‚

This!
Mine still pulls sandwiches apart and he's 5.

Please
or

Needmorelego · 20/09/2022 09:44

@Dinoteeth mine is 14 now πŸ˜‚
Although I reminded her of how she used to eat pickle the other day and she didn't believe me and said "ewww'

Please
or

cultkid · 20/09/2022 09:50

Pasta

Please
or

SBAM · 20/09/2022 09:53

Mine loves pasta, either regular pasta with pesto or tomato sauce, or the tins of hoops/peppa/ Thomas shaped ones.
He likes scrambled egg with toast, or beans on toast, or cheese on toast.
He likes bread and butter with the cheese next to it instead of made into a sandwich.

Please
or

FlounderingFruitcake · 20/09/2022 09:53

I don’t actually know of any kids that ate sandwiches normally at 2! Mine like pita strips bread with hummus and/or tzatziki to dip, a single slice toast or half bagel with a topping like cream cheese, avocado or PB&J (look for low/no sugar options), pasta served hot or cold sometimes with tuna, homemade pita bread pizza, scrambled eggs, cheese quesadilla. Then usually some raw veg on the side like cucumber, carrot, avocado, cut up cherry tomatoes plus a bit of whatever fruit we have. I find meat options tricky for lunch since he only really likes sausages, bolognaise pasta or roast chicken so a lot of the time it ends up being veggie!

Please
or

Mrsjayy · 20/09/2022 09:56

Try as a pp said just give him bread and the sandwich filling separate, or maybe do baguette rather then sliced , what I used to do for one of mine, I think the texture of of a sandwich can be a bit " claggy" and it puts them off,

Please
or

HereIfYouNeedMe · 20/09/2022 09:58

Have you tried malt loaf? Mine won't eat sandwiches but eats that, without butter although I have tried πŸ˜‚

Please
or

Sandysandwich · 20/09/2022 10:12

Mine have all gone off sandwiches at different points, but they would eat very thin slices of baguette or strips of pitta bread or wraps.
My son would eat sandwich bread when I spread a slice with marmite and rolled it up and then cut it like a baguette so he had little spirals - for some reason that was infinitly etter than tge regular way

Please
or

RedRobyn2021 · 20/09/2022 10:46

Cheesy broccoli pasta
Beans toast
Spaghetti toast
Avacado on crackers
Soup (various kinds homemade) with bread for dipping
Sardines or mackerel on crackers (we use Ryvita Crackerbread)
Leftovers sometimes

My daughter isn't a sandwich lover either

Please
or

eatsleeprepeat123 · 20/09/2022 11:55

Thank you everyone there's some great ideas here for me to try!

@HereIfYouNeedMe he adores malt loaf! He has the snack bar type ones which are really good for out and about if you haven't seen them! Never thought as it for a lunch though that's a great idea - he usually has it for a snack πŸ˜‚

OP posts:
Please
or

HereIfYouNeedMe · 20/09/2022 12:16

@eatsleeprepeat123 we have both the snacks and the loaf πŸ˜‚ xx

Please
or

FourChimneys · 20/09/2022 12:29

One of mine wouldn't eat sandwiches until I started making them triangular rather than square. The novelty made all the difference.

Crumpets and bagels might work.

Please
or

PinkPencilCase · 20/09/2022 13:13

Sausage rolls, pasties, pork pies, scotch eggs?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?