Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Tips to get kids to save?!

15 replies

Navigatingthroughlife · 31/10/2022 09:14

My partner and I are taking his two kids Easter holidays next year to Florida. They have no regards in really saving for the holiday which is so stressful as I’ve been with my family before and understand this is every kids dream. The holiday has also cost us a small fortune. Any idea to get them saving their Christmas money etc as we cannot afford to buy them everything they want?

OP posts:
Please
or

shrinkingbee · 31/10/2022 09:20

I personally wouldn't be booking a holiday that I/we couldn't afford and expect kids to contribute. It's different asking them to bring a token £20/£50 to spend on a souvenir from the trip though.

How old are the kids?

Please
or

Navigatingthroughlife · 31/10/2022 09:23

shrinkingbee · 31/10/2022 09:20

I personally wouldn't be booking a holiday that I/we couldn't afford and expect kids to contribute. It's different asking them to bring a token £20/£50 to spend on a souvenir from the trip though.

How old are the kids?

We can afford the trip and everything else. I’ve been before with my family and know there’s so much gimmicks that they will want and they can be quite pricey so trying to encourage them to save their Christmas money to get everything they want

OP posts:
Please
or

Navigatingthroughlife · 31/10/2022 09:25

Sorry they’re 11 and 13

OP posts:
Please
or

midgetastic · 31/10/2022 09:27

You tell them what spending money there will be
You explain that it's likely they will want more - give examples of stuff they might want

You get there and if they haven't saved they will learn for next time

They don't need to have everything they want anyway

Please
or

FlounderingFruitcake · 31/10/2022 09:28

What exactly do you mean by gimmicks?
Like tat from souvenir and gift shops?

Please
or

Navigatingthroughlife · 31/10/2022 09:29

midgetastic · 31/10/2022 09:27

You tell them what spending money there will be
You explain that it's likely they will want more - give examples of stuff they might want

You get there and if they haven't saved they will learn for next time

They don't need to have everything they want anyway

Thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

Navigatingthroughlife · 31/10/2022 09:30

FlounderingFruitcake · 31/10/2022 09:28

What exactly do you mean by gimmicks?
Like tat from souvenir and gift shops?

Yes exactly that although I can be a bit of a sucker too for the Disney bowels etc. It’ll be stuff like a Simpsons hoodie which is probably about $40 etc. My family go yearly and a big tip I’ve been told is get Disney stuff is Walmart as a lot cheaper and all legit stuff

OP posts:
Please
or

AmberGer · 31/10/2022 09:38

If they're anything like my DC, Don't let them save too much. They'll be spending it wildly on all sorts of crap and you will end up over your weight on baggage and it will cost you a fortune to bring it home 😂

Please
or

JesusMaryAndJosephAndTheWeeDon · 31/10/2022 09:39

At that age, explain to them that the holiday is coming and they will want to have spending money for the holiday. Tell them that you won't be buying souvenirs, toys, sweets, etc so they will want to have some money and suggest that they start saving. If there are specific things they are likely to want talk about that, and look at prices and exchange rates so they understand it a bit more.

I would support them in opening a savings account and paying into it.

Encourage them to put a bit of their pocket money away and a proportion of their Christmas money. Depending upon how much money they usually get for Christmas, don't make the saving too tough for them.

Maybe think about buying them some dollars for Christmas as part of their Christmas present as they won't be able to spend that before they arrive.

Please
or

Navigatingthroughlife · 31/10/2022 09:39

AmberGer · 31/10/2022 09:38

If they're anything like my DC, Don't let them save too much. They'll be spending it wildly on all sorts of crap and you will end up over your weight on baggage and it will cost you a fortune to bring it home 😂

That’s very true 😂 we’re staying in a villa so I’ve told them all pack lightly as we’ll have a washing machine plus we have 5 cases between the four of us so that should help 😂

OP posts:
Please
or

Navigatingthroughlife · 31/10/2022 09:42

JesusMaryAndJosephAndTheWeeDon · 31/10/2022 09:39

At that age, explain to them that the holiday is coming and they will want to have spending money for the holiday. Tell them that you won't be buying souvenirs, toys, sweets, etc so they will want to have some money and suggest that they start saving. If there are specific things they are likely to want talk about that, and look at prices and exchange rates so they understand it a bit more.

I would support them in opening a savings account and paying into it.

Encourage them to put a bit of their pocket money away and a proportion of their Christmas money. Depending upon how much money they usually get for Christmas, don't make the saving too tough for them.

Maybe think about buying them some dollars for Christmas as part of their Christmas present as they won't be able to spend that before they arrive.

Thank you my partner has already said he’s giving them dollars for Christmas and I’m sure our side of the family will too. I think I will sit down with them and go through all the stuff they have out there and the important to save. They both are so sweet and have the right intentions they just get side tracked when they see tack over here and then spend they’re money on that instead 😂

OP posts:
Please
or

FlounderingFruitcake · 31/10/2022 09:45

Dollars for christmas is perfect and definitely not too much so that you don’t have loads of junk to lug home!

Please
or

Navigatingthroughlife · 31/10/2022 09:46

FlounderingFruitcake · 31/10/2022 09:45

Dollars for christmas is perfect and definitely not too much so that you don’t have loads of junk to lug home!

Thank you! Feel like it’s coming around so quickly now. I’m so excited and cannot wait to see all their faces even my partners who’s never been to the states

OP posts:
Please
or

shrinkingbee · 31/10/2022 10:19

Sorry I misinterpreted your first post! Yes tell them we have X weeks to go, there may be souvenirs, token items and perhaps encourage them to save a little every week until you go to allow them to choose a treat or two once you're there. I'd suggest a certain amount as like you say you'll be coming back with a suitcase of stuff! 😂 have a great trip!

Please
or

Navigatingthroughlife · 31/10/2022 11:09

Thank you so much! Really looking forward to it now

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?