Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Join Mumsnet's vegan community and discuss everything related to the vegan diet.

Not technically vegan

Rizzoli123 · 28/08/2021 00:07

I am not technically vegan and don't want to be

I have a medical condition and a few friends suggested that it helped them by giving up dairy.

I have been using coconut milk and lacto free. Also have the oaty batista milk to try.

My question is are there any products that are a must.

Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ricekrispie22 · 28/08/2021 06:35

Applewood smoked vegan cheese
Nush cream cheese
Ilchester melting mature cheese
White Rabbit arrabbiata pizza or Dr Oettker Margherita Pomodori pizza
Pizza Express vegan house dressing
Tesco Free From basil pesto

Please
or

Kanaloa · 28/08/2021 07:40

Vegan galaxy bars. The oatly barista is probably the best of the vegan milks. DS7 and I also like the bounty drink.

Please
or

Cormoran · 28/08/2021 20:58

Well if you are giving up dairy for health reasons, substituting whole (-dairy) products with ultra-processed (=vegan) products might nor be the right move

Read the ingredients on what you buy. Try going whole foods, and if giving up dairy, be mindful of other calcium sources.

I eat plant based for health reason, in my case, trying to beat the odds of a 26 years life expectancy reduction and 59.6% lifetime risk of cancer with bad prognosis a tumour inducing genetic syndrome gives me.

What is your health issue?

Please
or

legoriakelne · 28/08/2021 21:03

"A must" for what? Your health issue? Dairy alternatives? Vegan options?

I have a medical condition and a few friends suggested that it helped them by giving up dairy

Do they have the same medical condition? Is their advice consistent with medical advice?

Please
or

Rizzoli123 · 29/08/2021 09:19

Yes they do and yes it is. One person is a gynae nurse and she said patients consistently found this to be helpful

OP's posts:
Please
or

Flatdisco · 29/08/2021 09:24

What are your medical issues that people think will be helped by going vegan? I'm sure they are well meaning but people talk a lot of poorly informed shit about food and health. Eg the number of people going gluten free for no reason, most people font need to give up entire food groups.

I'm saying this as a vegetarian who eats vegan a lot of the time. So not against the diet at all! I just think it's worth understanding what will actually impact on your health.

Please
or

Firstbornunicorn · 29/08/2021 09:26

Lacto free milk still has dairy.

Oatly Barista is a favourite here (DS has CMPA).

Most of the vegan cheese stinks!! Never found a good alternative.

Please
or

Scarby9 · 29/08/2021 09:34

My neighbour is dairy free because of severeRheumatoid arthritis type responses so I am very used to both eating non-dairy at their house and providing non-dairy at mine. Her cooking is fabulous- you would never know there was no dairy.

Some (random!) things we use:

Pure (TM) spreads and for baking (eg. The sunflower spread to me tastes no different to any other)

Alpro custard is delicious and so easy

Our local SPAR jaffa cakes happen to be dairy-free.

Goats cheese and yoghurt

Whittards chocolate mints

Please
or

vincettenoir · 07/09/2021 21:22

Violife Greek white
Flora light

Please
or

a8mint · 09/09/2021 05:48

We had some vegans staying in the summer holidays and i found i felt so much less tired tgat i gave kept it up.
I dont eat particularly healthy vegan foods all the time but even so my blood pressure is down and i am losing g weight

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.