Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Join Mumsnet's vegan community and discuss everything related to the vegan diet.

What to add for butteriness?

IndigoJasmine · 02/04/2021 10:48

I made scrambled tofu “egg” today and used it in a shakshuka for a slightly indulgent bank holiday breakfast, and it was very good if I do say so myself. Silken tofu, garlic powder, kala nemak, turmeric and a bit of black pepper, briefly whisked together, it looked the part and tasted very eggy too. I’m wondering how to improve it though. It lacked the rich butteriness that I like in real scrambled eggs - how do you recreate butteriness with vegan ingredients? Also need to cut the bitterness of the kala nemak just slightly as well.

The only other time I’ve missed butter in vegan cooking is mashed potato, but olive oil works very well there. I don’t think that’s the answer for scrambled tofu though.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Nightbear · 02/04/2021 10:58

I’ve seen cashew cream used to add creaminess.

Please
or

Mufflete · 02/04/2021 11:04

Flora plant butter? We're not vegan but got a sample of it which my DP has been using in scrambled eggs and he seems to like it.

Please
or

GoWalkabout · 02/04/2021 11:12

Naturli vegan block or spread is the most similar to Lurpak.

Please
or

Twizbe · 02/04/2021 11:16

Flora all the way. Not vegan but my son is allergic to milk. Best dairy free spread out there. I use it for cakes, cooking, toast, the lot.

Please
or

IndigoJasmine · 02/04/2021 14:00

Sorry should have said I am trying not to use the processed vegan margarine spreads 🤦🏻‍♀️ trying to adopt a wholefood approach, I guess I just like to make life difficult for myself, I think they all taste chemically to me anyway that I’ve tried and also they all seem to have palm oil in them as well which I’d like to avoid where possible.

Cashew is an excellent shout!! That sounds next level. I might make a batch of cashew cream to turn some into sour cream to go with fajitas and keep some to add to the next tofu egg attempt. Maybe some cashew and a little dash of olive oil.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Nightbear · 02/04/2021 16:13

There’s a recipe here? They seem to add their flavourings (like the garlic powder and turmeric you mentioned) to the nuts with a little liquid and blend it all, adding it to the cooking tofu when it’s nearly done.

whatthehelldoveganseat.com/best-vegan-scrambled-breakfast-tofu/

Please
or

Quaggars · 29/06/2021 21:03

Flora do a block of butter which is amazing

Please
or

annacondom · 29/06/2021 21:05

Tahini? I use it in/on everything!

Please
or

ItsAllGoingToBeFine · 29/06/2021 21:10

Naturli.

Beware Flora have put milk back into their Buttery Sad

Please
or

PoseyFlump · 01/07/2021 08:29

A tablespoon of tahini added to tomato pasta sauce is lovely so could work here too.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.