Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Join Mumsnet's vegan community and discuss everything related to the vegan diet.

Meatless Farm Mince

KurriKawari · 29/09/2020 16:17

This is on sale in Sainsburys (£2). It looks really soft and fragile. I wanted to make spag bol with it but reviews online say it turns to mush. I was wondering if anyone has used it well and how can I stop it falling apart, or even a different recipe? Thank you.

OP's posts:
Please
or

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer · 29/09/2020 18:59

We've tried it. The DC preferred the vivera mince, but meatless farm was better for shaping into balls.
Overall though they prefer lots of well chopped mushrooms to meat substitutes, so maybe not the best judges and I can't bring myself to taste anything meaty so can't pass judgement myself.

Please
or

Quaagars · 29/09/2020 19:50

Love Meatless Farm mince, so "meaty" tasting!
I've tried it in spaghetti bolognese and chilli and it's really nice - it does go a bit mushy looking and not particularly aesthetically pleasing but tastes so good I don't care Grin

Please
or

KurriKawari · 29/09/2020 20:58

Thank you @Quaagars, I was going to try and convince DD it was real meat cos spag bol is her most fave dish, but she's already spied this in the fridge! Am going to make this tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. Hoping it's a success and then can try out more of their products. We're down to meat once a fortnight but want to make it even less.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BewareTheBeardedDragon · 01/10/2020 19:37

I like it - the instructions on the pack say to get oil hot first, then add the product crumbling it in, and then leave it for 2 mins - no stirring or touching it at all. This seems to 'set' it in a good crumbly mince texture and after that you can stir it, but I tend to sort of scoop and turn so as not to squish it. Once it's got a bit crispy then it holds its shape well I have found.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.