Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Join Mumsnet's vegan community and discuss everything related to the vegan diet.

How to make plain tofu more exciting

SummersB · 05/06/2018 22:17

Any suggestions? I have a plain block of tofu, normally I would just slice it and fry, I mainly eat it for the protein. But God, it's bland like that! My local tescos seems to have stopped selling the smoked variety which I really liked.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ringsender2 · 05/06/2018 22:20

Pat dry and squeeze a little of moisture out with paper towel. chop into cubes. Marinade in strong soya sauce and grated ginger. Overnight best but 20 mins ok too. Drip dry. Dip in flour and deep fry

Please
or

Alabasterangel6 · 05/06/2018 22:35

As above but fry shallow in seasoned flor with very very finely sliced red chilli and a sprinkle of sea salt.

Please
or

bionicnemonic · 05/06/2018 22:39

Freezing improves the texture.
Thaw and gently squish the water out, wrap in tea towels and gently press. Cut into small cubes, bake on parchment on 180 for 25/30 minutes. Nice and crunchy Add into stir frys (good with satay (peanut butter/soy sauce/sweet chilli all mixed together))

Please
or

SummersB · 06/06/2018 07:52

Wow that sounds all lovely thank you!

OP's posts:
Please
or

thedevilinablackdress · 06/06/2018 16:32

Marinating is great. I've experimented with many combinations of soy sauce, lemon juice, paprika, sirracha, sesame oil, ginger....

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.