Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Join Mumsnet's vegan community and discuss everything related to the vegan diet.

What the Health

PumpkinSpiceEverything · 16/07/2017 20:20

Just watched the documentary by that name on Netflix last night... I know it's mostly about the US but seeing as I am an American (living in the UK) it really hit home for me. Also a lot of our family buys their meat at Costco, where much of it comes from the states (esp pork)

But just the Health info in general was shocking... I had no idea about the link between dairy and breast cancer, for instance.

Highly recommend if you've got Netflix. Anyone else seen this and would like to discuss?

OP's posts:
Please
or

FatBottomedGal · 19/07/2017 12:27

I'm currently watching it on my commute to and from work - I'm about 2/3 of the way through and am absolutely astounded.

I have been veggie for 2 years, slowly going vegan for about 6 months now (can't call myself a full vegan because I keep slipping up accidentally/ ordering pizza when I'm drunk Sad) but it's really hammered home the reasons why I've chosen to do this.

The thing that shocked me the most was all those huge health organisations being funded by the meat and dairy industries - what the hell?! It terrifies me now that my partner eats so much meat and dairy, I've been cooking him vegan meals at home for a few months now but he quite often adds a sausage to my pasta dishes etc. Definitely going to sit him in front of this documentary!

Please
or

Heartbreaker83 · 05/08/2017 14:41

I watched it and was also so shocked at the links between cancer and dairy/meat! I had a look at some of the uk cancer charities and they have many partners in the food industry as well! Makes me wonder why we are never told specifically what can be done to prevent some cancers- I believe it's because these companies are withholding the information. If it is just eat healthy and don't smoke why do babies and children get cancer?

Very fascinating program.

Please
or

lettuceWrap · 05/08/2017 15:25

For a bit of balance, you might want to read this.

robbwolf.com/2017/07/03/what-the-health-a-wolfs-eye-review/

It's also worth considering (if you live outside the USA), that a number of industrial farming and food production practices that cause issues are banned pretty much everywhere other than the USA.

Please
or

ILoveGrammar0 · 05/08/2017 15:26

Fed Up, Food Matters and Hungry for Change are also available on Netflix and are also very interesting.

Please
or

Flumpernickel · 10/08/2017 13:28

I watched this and it was a real eye opener, although contrasting non vegan views were on the whole pretty absent. I would have liked to see a more balanced film but it was still pretty interesting nonetheless. Wear your common sense hat and understand that it has a very vegan bias, but that said, some of the information was quite illuminating indeed (especially for someone like myself who has recently embarked on a roughly 95% plant based diet for health reasons)

Please
or

Flumpernickel · 10/08/2017 13:29

Thanks ilove will try some of those suggestions later.

Please
or

ppeatfruit · 10/08/2017 14:26

There are good books about health to get (not necessarily vegan). I started studying and eating for health when my dsis got cancer and I got arthritic joints which my granny had. There is great advice out there that is not paid for by industrial farming organisations!
Fit For Life is one and The Blood Type is another. I follow them and I am in good health (much better than most of my friends some of whom are much younger!)

Please
or

michelle303 · 16/08/2017 09:53

It's the environmental elements that really shocked me - you think that recycling your plastic bottles is making a huge difference while all this other stuff is going on and you don't even realise.

Please
or

ppeatfruit · 16/08/2017 10:59

Yes that's true michelle The amount of cancer forming\bee killling chemicals that are sprayed all over the giant fields is appalling

Please
or

flickertee · 18/08/2017 12:20

Have just settled in to watch this....... Shock shocking.

Please
or

JoJoSM2 · 24/08/2017 09:44

The 'documentary' really twists a lot of information and is very misleading...

On the mega-farm front - if you choose to eat some animal products, it's easy enough to buy organic and the animal welfare standards are excellent. In organic farms in the UK and the EU, chickens must be kept in small flocks and large outdoor areas in addition to being fed well. But I don't think the standards are the same in the US, though.

Please
or

Fauxtatoes · 24/08/2017 09:52

This "documentary" has been debunked over and over by top scientists.

www.staceymattinson.com/2017/07/what-the-health/

zdoggmd.com/what-the-health/

sciencebasedmedicine.org/what-the-health-a-movie-with-an-agenda/

A movie promoting veganism by militant vegans to vegans.

Please
or

michelle303 · 24/08/2017 09:54

Militant? Haha, that's a pretty strong word....

Please
or

Flumpernickel · 24/08/2017 12:10

I dont agree that it was militant, I do however feel that it would have been better with some balanced opinions from both sides of the argument and that imho was sadly lacking. I would really like to see some documentaries of this kind of ilk from the UK side, as I would be very interested to see the differences between here and the US. I have heard some worrying tales about the growing amount of super farms here in the UK, so If any docu makers/journos are reading, more info on this would be very much appreciated. I am plant based for my health primarily, however animal welfare issues and ethical treatment are very important to me, and I always try to make the most ethical choices regarding animal products in so far as information allows. I think we need much greater transparency when it comes to the use of animal products, and much tighter laws surrounding acceptable husbandry and farming practices.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.