My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Tutoring forum for help finding the right private tutor for your child.

Tutoring

Is it the norm to be charged for cancelling a lesson

15 replies

BackInTime · 06/11/2018 09:14

Question for tutors,’do you charge for cancellations?

OP posts:
ileclerc · 06/11/2018 09:16

I'm not a tutor but I would expect to be charged without adequate notice.

HeddaGarbled · 06/11/2018 09:21

Yes, it’s the norm.

AnneOfCleavage · 06/11/2018 09:22

If it's stated in T &Cs then yes. Usually less than 24hrs notice unless the tutor and tutee can both reschedule.

Cancellations should be stated when signing up.

We find if payment for a whole month is paid up front then less likely to have cancellations 😀

ZoeZebra1 · 06/11/2018 09:40

We don't pay for cancellations even at short notice. We have both had to reschedule/cancel in the past. If we do have to cancel we will try to do another session at a different time though so that the tutor doesn't lose money and my child doesn't miss out.

user1981287 · 06/11/2018 09:44

Yes because its their livelihood.

rosesinmygarden · 13/11/2018 06:22

Yes it's normal. In the same way that you pay for swimming lessons, nursery or the child minder if you don't turn up. If you are expecting a regular spot to be reserved for you (and for the tutor to turn away other students) then this costs.

Whynotnowbaby · 13/11/2018 06:25

Yes, why should the tutor lose money because the tutee can’t attend, no payment though if tutor cancels.

Sethis · 13/11/2018 06:28

Cancelling on the day? Absolutely.

Cancelling on the day before? Maybe/possibly

Cancelling more than the day before? Probably not.

Dawsonforehead · 13/11/2018 06:31

Yes if it's less than 24 hours notice. Someone else could have had that slot and I wouldn't have lost the money.

One of my tutees consistently arrived late and gave all the reasons in the world...she wanted to be charged only for the time that she was there as she had only been tutored for 40 minutes and not the whole hour!!!

ellesbellesxxx · 13/11/2018 06:31

I ask for 24 hours notice for private tuition or I charge. I have had people text with 20 minutes to go... I can’t then re sell that slot. Charging has dramatically reduced the amount of cancellations!

Coyoacan · 13/11/2018 06:32

Oh definitely

anniehm · 13/11/2018 07:01

Yes, though depends on tutor - mine let you rearrange if you let them know in advance and we're quite understanding but they had childcare issues so had changed ours at short notice, give and take!

April2020mom · 21/11/2018 22:05

As a part time piano teacher I do charge for cancelled classes and exams.
I also give notice. I’ve told them that I can rearrange the session if they tell me prior to the missed lesson but I expect them to do their practice as usual.

SnipSnipMisterBurgess · 21/11/2018 22:10

I’d always expect to pay upfront for a term or number of weeks, and if the teacher can accommodate a time switch or an extra class to make up, with a bit of notice, then that’s a bonus but not an expectation.

exorcisingarrrgggghti · 21/11/2018 22:16

I am a tutor. I charge if people cancel with less than 48 hours notice. I make this clear when I take on a new student.
I've found if I don't, 2 things can happen. Firstly you can have a run of several weeks with 2 or 3 cancelling each week and it really affects your income. At least this way it stops the last minute loss and gives you an opportunity to rearrange sessions if possible.
Secondly, there is always the one family that will mess you about week after week because they ' decided to go to Grandma's for tea' or whatever and it stops all of that.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.