My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Tutoring forum for help finding the right private tutor for your child.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Tutoring

GCSE Maths Tutor?

45 replies

EverythingIsSoThrowback · 16/09/2013 19:41

Hi,
This is my first post, I've been lurking for a while.

Anyway. my DD1 is in Year 11, and will be sitting her Maths next year. We're thinking about getting her a tutor, has anyone gone down this route before? How do you decide who to pick? Thanks.
And how much does it normally cost?

OP posts:
Lilymaid · 24/11/2013 13:14

We found a tutor for DS2 after a fairly disasterous time at school - there were insufficient maths teachers to teach all the pupils maths so his maths group didn't have a proper maths teacher for a couple of terms in Y10. Fortunately we knew the head of maths at another school and she recommended one of her part time teachers.
DS flourished, his interest in maths increased and he was able to take the subject for A Level. Maths now forms a significant part of his degree. I suspect none of this could have happened without paying for a tutor for 2.5 terms in Y11.

mum141 · 27/11/2013 14:04

Thanks for the advice.

I've decided to give Blackstone Tutors a try. Booked a first lesson for Saturday; will let you know how it goes.

MagratGarlik · 27/11/2013 22:59

The thing I'd be concerned about with current university students though is that simply knowing how to "beat the exam papers" is not enough. If a student is struggling at school, you need to work on the root cause of that and build up from there, not simply train to the test, otherwise if you are building on insecure foundations you are storing up problems for the next level of education. Having had lots of experience with teaching undergrads, whilst many are very bright their own knowledge of the subject is often not yet secure and they will still be working through their own misconceptions (if I had a pound for every undergrad I've heard describe DNA as a protein for example). They may be able to help train to the test, but that alone is not such a great idea.

Just my opinion of course!

jlee1 · 30/11/2013 12:09

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

bigTillyMint · 30/11/2013 19:34

DD just had a lesson with a tutor that a friends DS has. He was very nice and she is keen to go back. Luckily she said once a fortnight as it was £35! It is London, butShock

mum141 · 30/11/2013 19:38

To be honest, I was very impressed (despite the tutor arriving 5 mins late!)

The tutor blackstone sent is a current medical student which is perfect for the Biology tuition and Gareth said he learnt more in the 1 hour than he did in 11 hours with the previous tutor.............thanks for all the advice!

Kath2391 · 18/01/2014 20:17

I have just joined Mumsnet.
I was interested to see the discussion about Maths Tuition. I am a Maths Tutor in Malvern, set up my own business in 2013; it is amazing to see the difference in a child when they realise they can 'do' Maths. I know because I have seen the difference. Very rewarding. I teach to GCSE, AS, as well as QTS students.

Emilytutoring · 13/02/2014 14:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Simonev · 12/04/2014 07:57

just had a lesson with a tutor that a friend has. He was very nice and early too!.....from A Star Tuition Ltd.....not cheap but comes well recommended !

Honu · 12/04/2014 13:53

I privately tutor maths, all ages from juniors to A levels, and I charge £36 per hour. This is less than the hourly rate I get for the 1-1 tutoring I do for my local authority.

While the subject and curriculum knowledge is important, may I also suggest that being a good teacher is just as necessary. My DH is incredibly good at, and knowledgeable about, his area of expertise, but he is an absolutely lousy teacher.

Delphiniumsblue · 12/04/2014 14:03

I asked DS's teacher and we had someone she had taught with but was at home with her baby, she was excellent.

Delphiniumsblue · 12/04/2014 14:03

She was £25 an hour but that was some years ago.

Piggychunk · 13/04/2014 19:08

My husband is Maths teacher and exam marks for Ed-excel and only charges £25 p.h I might have to suggest upping his fees seeing some of these! :)

chloeannjanice · 19/11/2014 00:17

geracharu · 04/06/2017 16:28

Tabymoomoo · 04/06/2017 20:48

Geracharu - You may want to check the date on this thread it's a zombie thread - from 3 years ago!

LornaMumsnet · 08/06/2017 17:07

Hi everyone,

We're just sweeping this thread into tutoring, OP please do get in touch if this is a problem.

Flowers

MathsTeacher1 · 14/09/2017 16:52

Is your child doing higher or foundation? What is their predicted grade, if they are far behind then you shold get a good teacher ASAP. If they are on the right track then I wouldn't spend a lot on weekly tutoring. Maybe 2 session every month just to go through problem solving or past papaer questions.

OnlineMathsTutor · 15/09/2017 15:04

I teach maths online at secondary level. Lots of parents like it because students study in their home using Zoom or maybe Skype. No travel needed which makes great from an environment and time point of view. Students just need to be able to write using a pen tablet ( cost is less than £50) A video chat and a shared working space make it a very effective method of tutoring.

localteachers · 10/11/2017 16:33

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.