Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Taking baby swimming first time

Dizzybrunette445 · 18/06/2021 19:45

Hi guys, sorry if this is in the wrong category, however I want to take my baby swimming for the first time (he's coming up 6months) and just wanted some advice on the best floats to get etc ? Any recommendations will be appreciated!

Thanks !

OP's posts:
Please
or

nannynick · 18/06/2021 19:55

I would not use any. Swim nappy, swim suit. Baby/Toddler pool if possible, they tend to be warmer.

Please
or

stuckinarutatwork · 18/06/2021 19:59

No floats for babies. The sit in ones are rubbish (baby can't really see much over the top and they get cold).

A neoprene body wrap adds a little bit of buoyancy, will keep baby nice and warm and also helps you to keep a firm grip on them (wet babies are slippery!).
Hold the baby close to you in the water and keep them submerged to at least their shoulders so they stay warm.

Please
or

Dizzybrunette445 · 18/06/2021 20:12

Thank you!

OP's posts:
Please
or

languagelover96 · 26/06/2021 10:13

I do not recommend floats.

Body wraps are a better option overall. You can order one online, it will warm baby up and also protect him or her. If you can, get a swim nappy, and ideally opt for a specially dedicated baby friendly pool rather than a big crowded pool.

Do not stay for more than a hour. Listen to baby as well. Another tip, I would also bring money in case you want to eat lunch there. You may wish to take a bag with your stuff and store it securely in a locker.

There are baby swimming classes available, look for those.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.