Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Battery leaked from toy - is the white crystal powder dangerous?

Yoarchie · 04/10/2016 12:02

Just that really, opened an overflowing cupboard and found a toy that had batteries (normal AA type batteries) that hasn't been used for a while. I'm going to get rid of the toy as I don't want a child touching that substance but basically it fell out of the cupboard when I opened it so the white substance is most likely on my carpet (which I will hooover off), on my hands (washed them) but also on loads of other board games. Should I unload the cupboard and clean all those boxes up? I am worried about this powder burning or blinding my kids or something - advise me please!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Yoarchie · 04/10/2016 12:49

Bump

OP's posts:
Please
or

Yoarchie · 04/10/2016 13:52

Anyone :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

PinkSwimGoggles · 04/10/2016 13:54

yes it is. you need to get the toy to the dispisal unit of your council as electronic toys should not go into the household bin

Please
or

Yoarchie · 04/10/2016 17:32

I have taken it to the electrical section in the tip but I am still concerned about the residual crystal powder.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Yoarchie · 04/10/2016 21:09

Has anyone any advice about how dangerous the white stuff is to my dc?

OP's posts:
Please
or

scaredofthecity · 04/10/2016 21:11

I had a toy like this and I was very careful. If I was you I would have everything out and clean throughly. The crystal stuff can be corrosive and made my skin itch. I dread to think what it could do to eyes

Please
or

Yoarchie · 04/10/2016 21:16

That's what I thought - will be a big job as lots of bitty things in there - aargh!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.