Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Nintendo DS....tell me everything please....

bramblina · 14/11/2013 13:34

....because I know nothing!

I've heard that the 3ds is not good for eyes and as ds wears glasses I thought I'd go for the basic ds....is that a 2ds? And what's ds lite?

Thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

coppertop · 14/11/2013 17:50

The 3DS is the one that was brought out for the new 3D games, and also works with the usual DS games.

The 3D games don't work in the old-style DS, which includes the DS Lite.

The 3D function is not good but can be turned down or switched off completely when playing on the 3DS.

The manufacturers seem to have finally realised that lots of people aren't interested in the 3D function and only buy the 3DS so that they can play the new games that are being released. So they brought out the 2DS which can play the new games but doesn't have a 3D function.

So basically if you want your ds to be able to play the newer games, he will need either a 3DS or a 2DS.

Please
or

bramblina · 15/11/2013 10:45

OK that's great, thanks. The 2ds thing did confuse me.

How about the other though, we don't have any games so maybe the older style will be ok- what' the difference between ds, lit, dsi, xl...... any ideas?

TIA

OP's posts:
Please
or

coppertop · 15/11/2013 15:41

The DS is the original one. No real extras but will play all the non-3D games. The advantage is that it will be a lot cheaper than the newer models.

The DS Lite is a lighter version of the DS and the sceen is lit better.

The DSi is like the DS but has an in-built camera and you can play music on it (but not in mp3 format as far as I know).

The DSi XL is basically a DSi with a much larger screen.

It also depends on how much you want to spend. A new DS will probably cost around £75 - £100. (2nd hand prices start from around £30). A new 2DS starts from around £110, so not that much more than the old-style DS.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.