Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Build-A-Bear Workshop - I've never seen such clever marketing!

perceptionreality · 08/08/2012 11:20

On the suggestion of a friend I took my 8 year old and 3 year old to this place on Monday. What a confusing place! You could easily end up spending £60 or more on one bear!

However, the girls have not stopped playing with the bears since we got home with them. They absolutely love them. I also saw many children coming to the shop with a bear that they obviously bought some time ago to choose clothes and accessories for it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bunbaker · 08/08/2012 11:25

I agree. DD adores her bear. She spends all her pocket money on clothes and accessories for it. She spilt hot chocolate on it last week and was almost hysterical about the mess. Fortunately I managed to clean it all off, but it illustrated how much she sees this bear as much more than an ordinary cuddly toy.

Please
or

SunWukong · 09/08/2012 17:22

I don't get it, is the price on the beer the price of it stuffed and clothed or just the empty sack?

I've never really looked past the door as they pester you as soon as you enter.

Please
or

Bunbaker · 09/08/2012 20:49

It is the price of a complete (naked) bear.

Please
or

Svrider · 09/08/2012 20:52

The bears lovingly brought by my dh on a rare day out are at the bottom of the cuddly pile
Currently in pride of place are the £1 shop ones brought by DM. Hmm

Please
or

perceptionreality · 10/08/2012 19:37

We went to the one in Birmingham - they didn't pester any of us at all. The children are besotted. Even my autistic dd (who never speaks and who I never buy cuddly toys for because she has no interest in them whatsoever) asked me if she could have one!

OP's posts:
Please
or

SauvignonBlanche · 10/08/2012 19:39

They're evil places, I won't go in and make DH take DD.

Please
or

frasersmummy · 10/08/2012 19:41

we use build a bear as a reward for sticker charts filled.. the staff in our local one are brilliant and totally play to the sticker chart thing..they take they chart with a straight face and place it in the till

But yes you can end up spending a fortune on everything from a bear to an mp3 player for said bear ...some of their bears have more accessories than me .. lol

Please
or

workshy · 10/08/2012 19:45

my DDs love the event that is buying them, but then they just live on the end of the bed with all the other soft toys

the price of the bears and even the clothes are not bad but the shoes/hairbands/rollerskates/bags etc are stupidly expensive

I do like the no pressure sales though -the first time we went in I was expecting it to be very ott pester by the staff but they just let the DCs do that Grin

on the plus side the after sales is fantastic -one bear split, they tried to repair it and couldn't do an invisible mend so they replaced it, stuffed it to the same level, took the heart out of the original bear and put it in the new one and then we got a certificate of bravery from the bear hospital where the bear had been made to feel 'as good as new' -and it was 9 months old!

I'm impressed by these things

Please
or

VegansTasteBetter · 10/08/2012 19:46

No no no no no no. Dc will never set foot in one of them.

Why spend so much money on a bear when you could for half the price buy a bear some clothes from Tesco premie section?

Please
or

perceptionreality · 10/08/2012 19:55

Aww, that's lovely workshy. I think the bears are worth the money because they have more play value than ordinary cuddly toys. Dd2 loves cuddly toys but isn't into dolls so these are better for her because she can get the accessories for birthday and Christmas etc.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HauntedLittleLunatic · 10/08/2012 19:56

But you can't buy little roller skates from the premmie section of Tesco.
Grin

Please
or

noisytoys · 10/08/2012 19:57

I love build a bear I'm jealous of my 4 year old her build a bear is so cute and it has it's own Sketchers Twinkle Toes

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.