Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Thinking about getting a pony......

sep1712 · 07/06/2010 22:14

I'm a bit of a novice so any information would be welcomed. Pros and cons please.

We have been offered the use of some unused stables by a very dear friend about a mile away from home with as much pasture as i need.

I learnt to ride as i was growing up and had a shetland but can't really remeber doing much with it! I'm sure my dad just popped it in a field and didnt do much else with it!
I had access to a friends horse that she didnt have time to ride but i'm by no means experienced.

I have 3dc, ds10 ds6 dd3. I would like a fun way to get fit and something to interest us as a family.

I'm not over weight so i'm thinking i could get a pony thats suitable for me and my ds10 and a smaller one for the younger ones. Pony don't like being on there own do they? There's only sheep at the farm so i'm not sure if thats enough company for a pony?

Would i need to get them in every night and turn them out every morning or could i leave them out all the time?? I told you was green!!

Is this a crazy idea?? Can anyone talk any sense at me please??

OP's posts:
Please
or

ASecretLemonadeDrinker · 07/06/2010 22:23

It can be easy, if you have a pony happy to live at grass most the time. Generally I used to keep my pony in during the day in the height of summer, out and night, and in at night during the winter, out during the day. Cooler summer months she lived out pretty much all the time. But they still need checking over at least once a day, hooves picking out, fly spray etc., but TBH it's not really that major. Obviously it has a lot more room to go tits up - horses that aren't looked after properly can go abit wild, get cheeky and bolshy - not the sort of animal you can generally leave for a few weeks doing the basics then expect to have a ride. Horses don't have to be as expensive as some people think, but, rugs are about £50+ each, saddles £400/500 ish, bridles £80, farrier bills every 6 weeks that used to be about £50 if I remember right, dentist, worming, general cuts etc.

Please
or

Saggyoldclothcatpuss · 07/06/2010 22:23

Right. You are on the right track. two is better than one, and with the age range and number of children and yourself wanting to ride it, you would probably struggle to get something to suit everything. That said, I have a HUGE traditional Shetland that dd and I both ride and would suit a toddler too. This would only really work though if you were all fairly short legged, if you and the kids were leggy, you could look really silly!
First thing Id say is get natives. They are very hardy, can live out 24/7 if you want them to, you don't need to feed them much and they don't tend to get I'll at the drop of a hat! the main problem is not over feeding them an ending up with laminitis. As you have stables, you will be able to restrict how much grazing your ponies get.
Next I'd say, find a friendly horsey person stick to them like glue and learn as much as you can.
You could try getting loan ponies to start with, then you can liase with the owners regarding the finer details o their care and have advice on tap.

Please
or

Saggyoldclothcatpuss · 07/06/2010 22:35

Ps. vV Jealous of your stables! Mine just have a field. They live out all year round, but as natives they are quite happy and don't even get rugs!
Pps. I agree with what ASLD said mainly, but you can buy most things fairly cheaply, scour eBay, boot sales and auctions for equipment. I rarely buy new and I have some gorgeous stuff, dd looked marvellous at a show last week and the most expensive thing she was wearing was her gloves (£10.50) and the pony had saddle (£40) bridle (£15) rug (£20) and travel boots (£3) her tack is all English and all her gear matches. It just takes time and effort to find a bargain.

Please
or

sep1712 · 08/06/2010 18:15

Thank you both for not thinking that i'm nuts!!

Its given me food for thought and doesn't seem to be a difficult as i thought.

Pony shopping here i come! Think i'll look for a couple of loan ponies to get us going and see how it goes from there.

OP's posts:
Please
or

slipperandpjsmum · 09/06/2010 20:31

My dd would really like a pony and I had thought of a native living out but can I ask about the difference with the social aspect of life with a pony living out and a livery. Her friend keeps hers at a livery where there are lots of children and they all do lots of things together with their ponies. I just feel concerned she may feel a little alone, although there are other ponies on the field none of them are around her age. Would be really interested to hear people's experiences. Thanks

Please
or

Saggyoldclothcatpuss · 09/06/2010 23:23

We do get lonely, but DD does have a few horsey friends, and since we got a little trailer, we do go here and there. We are also very lucky to be honorary members of a pony club centre in the midlands, and go there 4 or 5 times a year to play. We were on a livery yard at first, and learned a lot, but it is also nice to be able to do our own thing. You could Always share your field with someone else so you have other kids to play with, or join her up to the pony club.

Please
or

horseymum · 10/06/2010 14:22

Maybe you could find someone you get along with to share the stables and land if there is enough and they could give you advice. Needs to be the type of person who will not suffocate you but let you learn as you go along whilst stopping you make huge mistakes!

Please
or

skihorse · 11/06/2010 07:49

Great advice from horseymum there - it also helps to have someone else around for when you want to go on holiday or have a weekend away for example.

I think you'll have terrific fun and it's a lovely activity for girls & mums!

Not that my little boy will have any choice in the matter...

Please
or

Pixel · 11/06/2010 17:47

Lol skihorse, that was very sexist.

As it happens ds loves ponies and dd couldn't care less!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.