My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Rehome a Racehorse

6 replies

CaveMum · 04/04/2010 12:07

Morning ladies!
I've only justdiscovered this sction of Mumsnet - can't tell you how thriled I am to have found some fellow crazy horse ladies!

Sadly for me I am horse-less but as I live in Newmarket and work in the racing industry I have plenty of opportunity to ogle some magnificent equine specimins!

I thought I ought to do my bit for our indsutry and point some people, who may be on the look out for a new mount, in the direction of some fabulous charities.

Retraining of Racehorses is a racing industry supported charity that supports several retraining and rehoming yards around the country. Sadly not all horses bred for racing are cut out for the job, but a Thoroughbred can make the perfect competition horse/happy hacker/companion.

For those of you that are interested, you can read more about RoR here

There are 4 main centres for retraining racehorses:

Greatwood in Wiltshire: www.racehorsesgreatwood.org/

HEROS in Oxfordshire: www.heroscharity.org/

Moorcroft in West Sussex: www.mrwc.org.uk/

TRC in Lancashire: www.mrwc.org.uk/

There is a fifth yard that is close to me which is funded privately by Sheikh Mohammed of Dubai. All the horses in this yard have come from his own stables so you can get hold of horses with amazing pedigrees and that cost a fortune at the sales:

www.darleyrehoming.co.uk/

The Darley rehoming centre is not far from Newmarket and I spent some time there as a volunteer last year.
I actually tried a horse with a view to taking him on, but sadly we didn't click

If anyone wants to ask any questions about these fabulous places, fire away!

OP posts:
MitchyInge · 04/04/2010 13:58

Ah, must not pass this information on to eldest daughter (until she has finished paying off £600 phone bill anyway)

CaveMum · 04/04/2010 14:19

Ouch!
Definitely don't mention the fact that Darley only ask for a payment of £115+VAT before signing the horse over to you!

OP posts:
Alicetheinvisible · 05/04/2010 10:42

Hello Cavemum.

I am also in Newmarket and have rehomed an exracehorse directly out of training. He is a star and we love him dearly. They really do take to their new lives amazingly well. Ours is being used for DH to learn on and is so genuine.

CaveMum · 05/04/2010 17:53

Hi Alice! Who did you get him from? I'd dearly live to have a horse at the moment but we are about to start TTC so it wouldn't be fair.

Do you know what his racing name was? You've probably already looked up his details but I can point you in the right direction if not

OP posts:
Alicetheinvisible · 05/04/2010 18:23

I used to look after him and ride him in training. His owners are lovely and have retired him to me so basically very long term loan.

He is called Crail

CaveMum · 06/04/2010 17:55

That's really nice. Despite being in Newmarket for 10 years I've always worked in the bloodstock world and never got the bottle up to ride out before work!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.