My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

where is my enthusiasm?

13 replies

MitchyInge · 20/02/2010 11:07

I really need it back - the sun is shining and I'm glad I have to go to work so have an excuse not to help daughter with pony

do I need to work on my attitude (I sneak off and ride by myself to avoid dealing with it ) or will it all just come right in time?

OP posts:
oldernowiser · 20/02/2010 17:42

It's been a horrid winter, and even with the sun shining it's not warm. I think we're all guilty of lacking enthusiasm sometimes.

What's wrong with sneaking off by yourself to ride? I do that on Tuesdays (when working at home. I need the space to concentrate on my riding and building my confidence, rather than thinking about the kids.

If your daughter can manage by herself that's brilliant for her competence and confidence.

Don't give yourself a hard time, it will all be fine come the spring!

pandora69 · 20/02/2010 18:14

I struggled to find my enthusiasm at this time of year even when I had no child, all the time in the world and access to an indoor school. The horse is always covered in mud and poo at this time of year, the ground is either too frosty or too muddy to ride on, and the competition season just seems far enough away that it's really not worth the effort. Any winter competitions always seem to involve either getting up in the dark and cold to get there in time if they are in the morning, or if they are in the afternoon you finish up in the dark and cold.

Sounds a barrel of laughs, doesn't it? And I love the winter! My friend and instructor suffers from Seasonal Affective Disorder, so I can't even have a shifty quick lesson.

Then miraculously you get up one day and the sun is out, and you just WANT to ride. Don't worry if it doesn't happen with the first ray of sunshine, it'll happen soon enough.

It's only 5 weeks till the clocks go forward, and by then the mud should be drying up and no more frosty mornings. Before you know it, it'll be time to hack through the bluebells, and hunter trials will be here! Fab!

MitchyInge · 20/02/2010 18:40

ahh thank you, reminders of spring more than welcome

have loads of enthusiasm for riding own horse, weather permitting, or any other animal but the pony! and actually he is being really good so I probably do have a bit of an attitude problem - warmer, longer days will definitely help

OP posts:
Pixel · 20/02/2010 19:39

Has your daughter got friends her own age at the yard? If so she won't be wanting your help for much longer anyway so you will be off the hook .

Owls · 20/02/2010 23:05

Gawd need some please. Snow here as well so have an excuse can't ride.

Roll on Summer.

Pixel · 21/02/2010 17:14

Bucketing down with rain all day here so everything is under water again and definitely no riding. We are on chalk downland but it is so saturated now the water just lies on the surface. Thanks to my lovely stepdad digging drainage in the summer our shelters are still dry, (everyone elses are bogs atm) so at least our beasties have clean dry floors to stand on.

When will it end? Am starting to wonder if I should be building a big boat!

Alicetheinvisible · 22/02/2010 14:41

I hate this time of year too. Just feel so bleugh.

But (and it is an excited, and very big but) my horses are moving next week, and DH has agreed we can have them on proper bedding not straw (will be hemp/rape straw/chopped straw type stuff) and will be closer with hacking, so i can ride with my friend in the evenings and YAY!!!

Oh, and there is woodchip turnout so my filthy filthy TB won't have mud dreadlocks anymore!

5 weeks til it is APRIL!!!

MiffyWhinge · 23/02/2010 11:19

new yard sounds wonderful

bedding sounds scarily ££££y though!

thanks for reminder that April is drawing ever closer, can't afford this much livery for much longer, and cannot wait to start complaining about flies and dust and podge from all that grass and laziness

(hope am not too cleverly disguised under this name)

Alicetheinvisible · 23/02/2010 11:36

I can recognise you under the false nose and moustache

The bedding looks to be quite a good deal actually. It will be slightly more expensive in the long run, but much easier and cleaner and quicker. (bearing in mind i will be mucking out until the moment the baby is born and very quickly afterwards)

here is the bedding company that i am using through Rands and Wilson. I rung them up and they are giving me a free bag of each to try Lovely man on the phone

The rape straw is £6.30 a bag and the chopped wheat straw is £5.60 (approx prices) and i will deep litter them and keep them well skipped out, come the summer they will be out about 11hrs a day anyway.

Owls · 23/02/2010 11:56

Alice, I like the sound of bedding cheaper than shavings but have to say I think my two would wolf the lot down overnight.

Miffy - mmmm think you are familiar. Have my iphone now - brace yourself for my attempt at sending a message when I work out what to do with it.

Alicetheinvisible · 23/02/2010 12:32

They have it treated with eucalyptus, but the bloke did say that the chopped wheat straw does sometimes get eaten.

I have used the rapestraw before as a top up when i was using the expensive Aubiose and it is lovely and soft.

MiffyWhinge · 24/02/2010 09:07

congrats on iPhone Owls, one day I will get mine repaired/replaced - there is always some vehicle crisis that takes precedence - and be properly back in touch with the world

alice - easier, quicker and cleaner sounds like the way forward; deep littering must reduce the overall cost quite a bit and bring it almost level

am in such an odd place with the horses at the moment, on the one hand the whole thing was an escape from real life pressures and family worries - something for ME - but on the other they generate a lot of pressure and expense and heartache. Hence have not ridden or even gone to see them since last Friday , but middle child has had serious relapse so at times like this livery is a godsend - am hopeful they'll be there for me when I can pick up again? Have never felt so indifferent before though, yard owner tried to talk to me about bits (one of my favourite topics) and I was just 'yes yes whatever you think'

MiffyWhinge · 24/02/2010 09:09

(think upshot is that we are trying Joey in a wilkie or a little gag thing with a flash)

(I think?)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.