My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Stabled Horses

48 replies

snoringnightmare · 09/01/2009 21:46

Just wondered what time do you bed them down for the night and what time you turn out in the morning in the winter months? Also, do you or somebody else check again in the meantime?

Something somebody said to me the other day had me thinking.

OP posts:
KingCanuteIAm · 09/01/2009 21:49

Ours were always bedded down around 4.30 in winter and turned out around 9am. They were checked at 10 by someone on the yard and last hay was put over the doors then.

What was said to you?

snoringnightmare · 09/01/2009 22:00

I put ours away about 3/4pm with haynet, feed, water, then check again around 8/9pm. Re-filling hay, water, skipping out. Turn-out about 8.30am.

Somebody said to me the other day I was fussing too much. Theirs are put away by 4.30pm (with a feed then loads of hay and big water buckets) and turned out at 9 with no checks inbetween. Just made me curious what others do.

OP posts:
KingCanuteIAm · 09/01/2009 22:03

I would say that 17/18 hours in a stable is too long without a check, mainly because of risks of getting cast/colic or whatever - especially if they are rugged up.

I know some people who do it that way but I would be too worried myself.

mysterymoniker · 09/01/2009 22:11

in varies - 3 or 4, feed/last check about 6pm

first people on the yard at 5am, turned out by 8am

have never thought about it before, it is a long time isn't it?

KingCanuteIAm · 09/01/2009 22:18

I always thought it was...

Mind you I am renowned for being a worrier

snoringnightmare · 09/01/2009 22:22

It is a long time when you think of it.

When I had horses on livery a few years back we did the same. All done and dusted by 5pm no check until 7/7.30am.

I've got mine at home now so that's why I've got the routine I have. It was just the other day when my friend mentioned that I was fussing too much that made me stop and think. She also has hers at home btw but thinks I'm barking. Think we need to crack open a bottle.

OP posts:
KingCanuteIAm · 09/01/2009 22:27

I would still have the same routine if I had mine at home, I may be being silly but I think it is one of the nice times of the day. Walking round, they are all snug and settled. Munching on last hay or feed, smelling clean, all quiet....

It is those bits that I miss most really!

Perhaps I do need a bottle of something...

kormaisforlifenotjustchristmas · 09/01/2009 22:28

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mysterymoniker · 09/01/2009 22:28

argh am so tempted to go and check on him now, it's his first night with a stable rug

what if haven't adjusted it properly and he gets tangled up in it and DIES

I'll probably get arrested for sneaking around the yard in the middle of the night though, plus I know he will kick his door repeatedly disturbing the old lady who lives there

KingCanuteIAm · 09/01/2009 22:31

See... that is what I am like too

Mind you I did nearly lose one of mine in an incident with a new zealand rug, a field bully and a deep ditch.
It has had an affect on me and my risk assessments.

mysterymoniker · 09/01/2009 22:37

did the bully get caught in the leg straps or something?

that happened to us the other day, not really a bully, just a colt overdue to be cut and trying to mount my boy luckily the strap snapped and apart from a lot of sewing no harm done

I find the bringing in/turning out really stressful ever since I got pinned against the gate with hooves flying everywhere but I must keep making myself do it

KingCanuteIAm · 09/01/2009 22:45

No, the bully chased mine into a ditch half full of water and a muddy bottom, mine ended up upside down with one front leg and rear legs through leg straps, twisted round to side... It was horrid and makes me thank goodness I always carried a knife on the yard, even though we were told to have those silly twine slicer things.

I have been caught at the gate a once or twice, it is intimidating to say the least. I used to be able to leap gates like a regular athlete

mysterymoniker · 09/01/2009 22:55

argh, horrible - don't want to imagine it (but I did ask!)

I can never remember all the things I need to take with me - crop for scaring the naughty ones away, nuts to catch the one I want, head collar that FITS, lead rope that has more than 3 solid strands left in it

KingCanuteIAm · 09/01/2009 23:01

It was one of those moments where you spend an hour or so wondering if your stomach will ever return to its normal position.

I am not sure but perhaps taking nuts in is part of the problem...?

mysterymoniker · 09/01/2009 23:05

heh!

yes I know, but you know how you sometimes have to go through a few fields to get to the one you need? I could be a bit more discreet, instead of waving the scoop around wildly while I pick my way across horrible, lumpy frozen fields

I was only trying to be helpful too, my horse is easy to catch in this weather

KingCanuteIAm · 09/01/2009 23:08

Ahh, so you build up a herd of devoted followers along the way

mysterymoniker · 09/01/2009 23:10

yes! how do people have enough hands to get in and out of gates safely? oh wait . . . you LEAP them?

snoringnightmare · 09/01/2009 23:12

Noooo stop it you two. I started this as I was told I was being soft. Convinced myself all was well.

OP posts:
KingCanuteIAm · 09/01/2009 23:14

if you are young and enthusiastic then yes!

These days it is more of a strategic pocket or two for headcollers and leadropes (unless you can actually get them to stay on your shoulder whilst wearing a puffa jacket - I never could!), another pocket for nuts. Long boots to stick a whip in whilst walking through gates...

KingCanuteIAm · 09/01/2009 23:17

All will be well snoring! You know it will, I know it will, MM probably does too - it is just our lot in life that we have to sit worrying at all possible opportunities

mysterymoniker · 09/01/2009 23:25

you can tell I'm new to this can't you? never thought of shoving the whip in my boots!

I am worried about this new rug though, one of the cross sircingles might have been a bit baggier than the other. If I thought I could slip in and out quietly I'd love to just double check. Would it be mad?

KingCanuteIAm · 09/01/2009 23:35

Of course it would be mad - but that is something we all have in common - madness!

If you think you have something to worry about then you should check, is it his first night ever in a rug or just this season? If you think you are just being paranoid because of this conversation then no...

Cross surcingles are rarely a real problem unless they are really loose.

Do you think he would really kick at this time of night? you don't want to upset your yard owner if you can help it!

KingCanuteIAm · 09/01/2009 23:35

I think snoring is in the yard as we speak..

mysterymoniker · 09/01/2009 23:48

I know he would kick, it's his vice - and yes! first night ever in a rug (for the past couple of years anyway). He's such a woolly mammoth he probably doesn't even need one.

Think am being paranoid. Will get there extra early tomorrow so can get everything triple checked by people who know what they are doing so do not have to go through this all again tomorrow night.

KingCanuteIAm · 09/01/2009 23:52

I am sure you did it fine! It is nice to have a second opinion though - even if it is just to set your mind at rest.

He will probably be munching away and wouldn't really thank you for tearing him away from his haynet

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.