My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Wet horse blankets

22 replies

Mojolostforever · 03/01/2024 15:51

I don't know much about horses, but from the bus today I saw quite a lot of horses with wet blankets over them.
Surely this must be very uncomfortable for them? Even if the blanket was dry when it was put on, it's hardly ever stopped raining recently. Wouldn't they be better off without a soaking wet blanket on?

OP posts:
gwenneh · 03/01/2024 15:56

For the most part, the rugs are waterproof and don't soak through. Many have multiple layers as well.

My horse's rug will look and feel soaked, but he will be bone dry, snug and warm underneath.

crazyBadger · 03/01/2024 15:58

gwenneh · 03/01/2024 15:56

For the most part, the rugs are waterproof and don't soak through. Many have multiple layers as well.

My horse's rug will look and feel soaked, but he will be bone dry, snug and warm underneath.

This has also been a thought in my head as I drive past lots of horses daily... Now I can shush my brain as I know they are really all snuggled tucked in despite looking like drowned rats

QuestionableMouse · 03/01/2024 16:01

99% of horses only wear a rug if they need them - they're expensive! Unlike the old canvas New Zealand rugs modern ones are made from high tech materials and even if they look wet, the horse is usually dry and warm under the rug!

In a similar vein, if you see horses with ice or snow in them, it's actually a good sign that their coat is doing a great job at insulating them! It it wasn't the snow would melt.

gwenneh · 03/01/2024 16:01

It's a part of the routine to re-waterproof the rugs regularly, too - as long as the horse isn't the kind that delights in destroying their wardrobe regularly!

Mojolostforever · 03/01/2024 16:09

Thank you for the replies, I'm relieved to hear that the horses aren't uncomfortable, even if they look wet.

OP posts:
Wrapunzel · 03/01/2024 19:07

I changed my kids' ponies' rugs yesterday as they had no-fill rugs on (like a cagoule for humans) and they were getting a bit waterlogged after non-stop rain! My bigger horses have medium weight rugs on due to their clips, more like a proper coat Grin

greentreez23 · 03/01/2024 20:19

Mine have a very big wardrobe. Rain sheets for light rain. Rain sheets with necks for heavier. Thicker rugs when it's cold and really heavy ones for the snow. They also have stable rugs in several different thicknesses, fleece rugs and wool stable rugs.

EvilElsa · 03/01/2024 20:27

We have waterproof rugs (which we rewaterproof or replace as needed) and we also rotate rugs so one will dry (on the outside) while the other is on. I've very, very rarely had a horse come in wet under a rug, and never anything more than an odd seam leak which is then repaired. Like others (and most horse people I've met) if you have a horse or pony that requires rugging you have multiple rugs for different uses/temps/weathers.

EverestMilton · 03/01/2024 21:09

Mine were out in torrential rain yesterday and we're perfectly happy. I threw them some hay at 3pm and they were dry again.
Modern rugs are very good and I don't buy expensive ones either. When my bog monster has been having a lovely time wallowing I have been known to literally hose the rug down on the horse and they are still dry underneath.
It's been extremely wet this year but very mild. Horses cope well with wet or cold if they have access to forage, but not so much when it's wet and cold.

Tronkmanton · 03/01/2024 21:14

As others have said, modern rugs are brilliant and keep the horses very dry underneath even if the rug is soaked on top. In fact I would say they are much better than most human coats at being waterproof. My horse has access to a field shelter/stable in his field but only goes in there for shade when it’s hot, he prefers to stand out in the pouring rain…

EverestMilton · 03/01/2024 21:17

I don't even use stable rugs anymore. Mine live in their turnout rugs. They dry quicker on the horse than on the rack. I just have a cooler rug for traveling and everything ever produced by Snuggyhoods..... because I bought a pony in a stupid colour.......

Mumofyellows · 03/01/2024 21:20

Yep, as others have said, my horse lives out and was out in torrential rain all day yesterday (she has a stable but gets very stressed in there so is happier and healthier out), when I checked her after work she was gone dry under her rug, she has a decent medium weight with a neck as she's quite thin skinned and and the wind whips up from the sea to her field!

Samsonsmum · 03/01/2024 21:22

Good grief

QuestionableMouse · 03/01/2024 21:50

Samsonsmum · 03/01/2024 21:22

Good grief

What an insightful response!

Pleasedontdothat · 04/01/2024 11:08

Also … not something to worry about now but when you see horses in the summer with things on their heads it’s ok - they’re fly masks and yes they can see, they’re not blindfolded - they stop the flies getting into their eyes and most horses are very happy to have them put on!

hothorses · 04/01/2024 11:13

I'm confused- what did you think the rugs were made from?

Would you rather go outside in heavy rain with or without a coat?

MissCordeliaPreston · 23/01/2024 11:52

@gwenneh really? We have to do that? How often? I'm in my first winter of horse ownership and learning all the time and never heard of this. Is it an annual thing that we can do at winter end? FWIW my horse is clipped and stabled when not being ridden (has an outside area adjacent to his stable but rarely goes out there when it's raining...

Pleasedontdothat · 23/01/2024 13:57

@MissCordeliaPreston it depends on how waterproof your rugs are to start with - I’ve got a Rambo turnout which has been in use for six years and is still completely waterproof. If you’re finding one of your rugs is letting water through then get them re proofed when you get them cleaned at the end of the season. Ask around for recommendations for local rug washing places - it’s not something you want to inflict on your family washing machine!

Floralnomad · 23/01/2024 16:18

MissCordeliaPreston · 23/01/2024 11:52

@gwenneh really? We have to do that? How often? I'm in my first winter of horse ownership and learning all the time and never heard of this. Is it an annual thing that we can do at winter end? FWIW my horse is clipped and stabled when not being ridden (has an outside area adjacent to his stable but rarely goes out there when it's raining...

At the end of the winter send all your rugs to a rug wash place and they will clean , mend etc depending on what you want and you get them back all nice ready for next winter . Can I ask how much room your horse has outside his stable as it’s really not good for them to be standing around indoors - much healthier to be out and about foraging .

MissCordeliaPreston · 25/01/2024 11:42

@Floralnomad He is exercised for at least an hour a day, and on top of that the kids take him out for a walk/graze as often as possible. The stables are 4x4m and the outside bit is the same amount again though the door to the outside is closed in very cold weather. When the ground is dry he has access to his own personal paddock for several hours a day - direct access from the external part of the stable. This is a town yard, unlimited grazing is not possible and in any case he doesn't get on with other horses. He is perfectly happy and I chose these stables for good reasons, including high levels of welfare, but thank you for your concern.

I have plenty of experience with horses, just not as an owner so never thought about details such as re-waterproofing the rugs.

MissCordeliaPreston · 25/01/2024 11:45

Thanks @Pleasedontdothat nope, I won't be using my washing machine - there are local services that other people in the yard use. Glad that it is unlikely I need to re-waterproof my lovely new rugs every year

liveforsummer · 25/01/2024 15:40

They are waterproof rugs. Unless very old they are very effective. Mines been in the same rug for weeks and I've not had to change it once. He's checked twice daily. It looks saturated on the outside though

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.