My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Think pony has ulcers

8 replies

Indoorvoicesbluey · 15/11/2023 11:44

12 year old cob who we think might have ulcers. She’s abit fidgety when girthing up, seems reluctant when putting leg on etc. she used to shake her head a lot ut doesn’t anymore. She refuses jumps most of the tim and just doesn’t seem happy. Never bucked or reared.

Do we have to scope? Or could we try some sort of treatment first? I think if she has them they aren’t extreme. can you recommend anything? I was looking at acid ease but not sure!

Thank you!

OP posts:
twistyizzy · 15/11/2023 11:50

Don't waste your money on supplements, get pony scoped ASAP. You have no way of knowing severity of ulcers (or whether pony even has ulcers unless you scope). Supplements can't heal ulcers and ulcers are very painful.
Also bear in mind they are always caused by either pain/stress so you need to eliminate the cause otherwise they will always come back.

OrlandointheWilderness · 15/11/2023 11:53

First port of call is vet. Sounds like she needs a thorough MOT. Check saddle etc as well. Does she change behaviour when in season etc?!

Indoorvoicesbluey · 15/11/2023 11:55

She’s recently had a mot and saddle checked .

her Bloods were perfect and she passed her flexibility test etc.

she’s less willing to work in season and is interested in the boys but personally wise no she doesn’t, she’s the most laid back good girl ever.

OP posts:
twistyizzy · 15/11/2023 12:04

Definitely discussion with vet is required. Behaviour would suggest either ulcers or ovary issue, she needs further investigation from vet.

OrlandointheWilderness · 15/11/2023 12:27

Brilliant, you've made a start and ruled a few things out then. Yep book the vet to come and scope, don't waste money on supplements until you know what's what. What's her routine like? Is she in a lot? Horses that mainly live out suffer far less with ulcers.

OrlandointheWilderness · 15/11/2023 12:30

And good on you for properly addressing this, far too many people out there who would just ignore it.

maxelly · 15/11/2023 12:41

Agree with others that you do really need a vet check as it could be lots of things, but you could also start some of the management/prevention of ulcers stuff in any event which won't do any harm, how is her turnout situation, is she out as much as possible already, if not can you increase the turnout? When stabled does she have constant access to good quality forage (doesn't need to be large volumes if weight is an issue, you can use trickle nets or feeders to slow her down if she tends to gorge)? Is she stressed at all particularly when stabled, has anything recently changed e.g. move of yard or change in herd dynamics as this can bring on ulcers in stressy horses?

Newuser75 · 15/11/2023 13:52

I'd book her in for a scope. I'd not waste my money on supplements etc.

Stress, pain and long periods of food can cause ulcers.

Even if a horse appears laid back they can still get ulcers, mine did and she appears to be the most laid back horse ever.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.