My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Random memory...riding and pony care book from the 1980s

12 replies

Deliaskis · 28/03/2023 11:36

So I am just thinking back to my childhood and remember a book that my sister and I used to share, devoured from cover to cover many times. It was about learning to ride and also pony care. I wonder if anybody else had the same one?

From what I remember it was:

• Brown cover, laminated paperback, with a photo of a girl with a pony in a possible round shape on the front.
  • Girl may or may not have been wearing a pony club tie but was anyway I think dressed in cream jods, brown jod boots, shirt and tie. It may have been a pony club publication but I can't remember.
  • It was a paperback normal 'fiction' sized book, i.e. a bit smaller than A5, and was a couple of cm thick, quite thick paper. Definitely not an annual.
  • Inside, it was black and white, with pencil illustrations.
  • Of its era in terms of quite strict expectations about smart dress for riding etc. but far less about hats and so on! They had a sketch of a riding school out for a hack all in tweed jackets and so on.
  • Had quite a bit, considering I am sure it was aimed at children, about conformation, and about health, I remember sketches of a horse with pigeon toes, cow hocks, strangles etc.

Does anybody remember anything like this?
OP posts:
maxelly · 28/03/2023 13:22

The pony club manual of horsemanship? I'm not sure if I'm remembering mine or my children's copy but I think it was a blue cover and photo illustrations not line drawings but there were presumably earlier editions and it was definitely quite strict on things like proper attire for riding (recommended a shirt and tie for hacking, with either a 'ratcatcher' hacking jacket or a PC sweater over the top, and IIRC correctly you were to touch your hat and wish a good morning/afternoon to any pedestrians you encountered!). Those were the days eh?

Deliaskis · 28/03/2023 13:38

Ah I know that book and yes there were similarities in style in terms of smart attire for riding etc. But it isn't that one.

These days I do my fair share of thanking drivers (not necessarily by touching my hat) but just as much time scowling and mouthing 'SLOW (the f*) DOWN'!

OP posts:
Stugs · 29/03/2023 13:12

Practical Pony Keeping?

I must have read it 100 times.

Smidge001 · 29/03/2023 13:14

Don't suppose it was this?

Deliaskis · 29/03/2023 16:25

Neither of those, but they both look marvellous!

Old pony book nostalgia is more fun than I realised :)

OP posts:
Stugs · 29/03/2023 16:53

It wouldn't have been one of thenpony club books would it? Not the manual of horsemanship but the smaller offshoots

dogrilla · 29/03/2023 16:59

Oh my god!! Massive flashback - I had that book! Brown - sort of matte laminated cover? Have just looked through my old pony books but can't find it... Is going to drive me mad.

dogrilla · 29/03/2023 17:08

This isn't the one I'm thinking of - but just in case... same sort of era?

Stugs · 29/03/2023 17:09

Bet it was one of these

Stugs · 29/03/2023 17:10

dogrilla · 29/03/2023 17:08

This isn't the one I'm thinking of - but just in case... same sort of era?

That fits the description!

Deliaskis · 16/05/2023 13:38

dogrilla · 29/03/2023 16:59

Oh my god!! Massive flashback - I had that book! Brown - sort of matte laminated cover? Have just looked through my old pony books but can't find it... Is going to drive me mad.

Sorry to bump over a month later, but I missed these replies originally, and I reckon your flashback might be the one. The brown covered one you posted looks quite similar, but I don't remember it being a ladybird book, and the one I had sounds like what you describe.

Anyway, thank you for thinking and having flashbacks, even if the actual book remains a mystery!

OP posts:
JesusMaryAndJosephAndTheWeeDon · 16/05/2023 13:44

I don't think I know the one you mean but this was my Bible

I loved it!

Was yours definitely paperback? I had memory of a brownish book the size of a paperback but it was hardback.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.