My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Adult horse camp

12 replies

Hereforthedramaz · 24/10/2022 19:31

Hi,

Has anyone been on a pony camp for adults?

I'd really like to do a few days immersive riding and stable management type stuff.

All the stuff they do for newish child riders (I.e not jumping/ x country/ dressage focus just basic riding and horse care).

I doubt it would be allowed anyway but I'd rather not do it with the kids!!

Any recommendations?

I'm South east but happy to travel and stay locally if it's not residential.

OP posts:
nokitchen · 24/10/2022 20:16

What's your level of riding?

Hereforthedramaz · 24/10/2022 20:45

Hi @nokitchen I'm returning to riding as an adult after 20 years or so of not riding.

So really I'd want one aimed at beginners, I can ride but I'd rather go for a more beginner camp than be too optimistic!

OP posts:
alak · 24/10/2022 20:50

I too would love this if it's a thing!

Floralnomad · 24/10/2022 20:53

Wyatt equestrian ( Benenden) did some this year but you have to be an existing client to use one of their horses . Well worth having lessons there anyway as it’s excellent .

nokitchen · 24/10/2022 21:37

Free reign riding holidays in Wales are for adults. Might be worth a Google?

I know what you mean about the stable skills. I have several adult friends who ride regularly at riding schools but haven't got the hands on experience. I think there would be a market in teaching adults to muck out, lead, tack up, groom etc.

Lastqueenofscotland2 · 24/10/2022 21:51

Not cheap but Wellington will tailor a holiday for you

Hereforthedramaz · 25/10/2022 07:38

@nokitchen I was actually looking at free rein yesterday.

They do offer a "learn to ride" holiday which seems like it does cover the basic horse care stuff as well as basic riding. But from what I can see they you hire one of their guides and it's a bespoke holiday/ break for your group.

It would only be me as no one else wants to join me on a riding holiday so I'd really like to find one where it's a bigger existing group.

OP posts:
bravelittletiger · 25/10/2022 09:58

Following as I would also like to do one of these!

LemonFanta1 · 27/10/2022 06:18

I'd be up for a free reign holiday as well - I don't have friends that are interested, but if you decide to go next year, I'd be happy to join you.

kittykarate · 27/10/2022 11:31

They do offer a "learn to ride" holiday which seems like it does cover the basic horse care stuff as well as basic riding. But from what I can see they you hire one of their guides and it's a bespoke holiday/ break for your group.

Oh that's changed since I went - it was a mixed (but small) group for their Learn to Ride and Back to the Trail holidays. Probably a change brought on by Covid I guess, especially with their proximity to Wales.

Some small riding schools do pony club camps for adults (though again - possibly messed up by Covid) . This place fieldhouse-equestrian.co.uk/ did an adults camp weekend once a year and also has a monthly adults riding club which can be stable work/book work or an on-horse activity like polo crosse or synchronised riding.

Quiettiger · 27/10/2022 11:48

Talland do something along the lines you're looking for, I think. Have a look here. Talland Courses.

ipredictariot5 · 04/11/2022 23:49

You can join a free rein holiday on your own - message the owners and explain. They have tons of repeat customers and mix and match people really well.I have been on several of their holidays with different people and always had a great time with friendly people

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.