My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Livery Prices Increasing

10 replies

FanFckingTastic · 07/10/2022 13:08

We have been told that our livery cost is increasing from November by an eyewatering 30%. I get that prices are rising but it just seems like a big jump. For context we are 100% DIY at a very small private yard (so no yard manager, no extra services etc) We pay for muck removal, hay, feed bedding etc on top of this so the increase is not for these things.

Anyone else finding that livery costs are shooting up? If so is it making you consider moving to somewhere cheaper?

OP posts:
Rutland2022 · 07/10/2022 13:17

Ours has gone up just under 10% which is fair (still hard though!).

Unless yours was way under market rate then the increase seems unjustified.

Our yard has had a few leave as they can’t afford the increase although ours is still good value (part and full livery yard). But to get cheaper they have had to go to DIY. I think people will be seeking cheaper options. Alas I have a needy complex elderly one with health issues that needs part livery as I can’t tend to her needs around work and DD. I used to love DIY but just can’t do it now as I’d need 3-4 yard visits a day.

Plantstrees · 07/10/2022 13:40

DIY rate around here is now about £150 pm. When you start adding hay and bedding it gets expensive if it's not included, but I just compared the cost to kennels and they charge £25-£30 a night for kennels around here excluding food. I know nobody keeps their dog in kennels full-time but if you do compare the prices, horses are a cheaper option!

Rutland2022 · 07/10/2022 13:55

Ours is £340ish a month now for 5 day part livery including adlib hay/haylage and straw, DIY weekends.
Excellent hacking, jump field and a small indoor school. I think it’s fair. It would cost me £200 on DIY with hay and straw so to have muck out, turn out/in and rug changes, feeding and haying on weekdays for £140 is a bargain really especially if you factor in fuel to go to yard.

foxlover47 · 09/10/2022 00:53

I'm in 320 pcm diy with straw and hay included
I'm hoping itwon't go up more

HighlandPony · 09/10/2022 00:58

Nah. I barter mine. So I muck out others and mine are on grass livery. It’s normally £20 summer grass livery and £25 winter. I’ve got natives tho so they’re fine

Fudgeball123 · 09/10/2022 20:55

£100 a month grass livery. Depends where you are and whether it was below market rate?

TrainspottingWelsh · 09/10/2022 21:35

Mine are at home, but I can see why even diy is increasing. Even minor things such as a small load of poles for maintenance have doubled in cost. I mainly have hedges and don’t have any fence wreckers, but I can see why it would be eye wateringly expensive just to provide fencing on a diy yard right now.
Again, my lighting isn’t on for multiple people at different times on a large yard, but it’s still a noticeable expense now, must be like burning money on a diy. Individual owners, however careful they are, will use more water than one person doing the same number of horses etc:
Plus if it’s a business there is also the consideration of how much money is tied up in owning a yard. DIY livery has never been a profitable business so there’s no margin to cover increased costs and the owners still need to live.

whatshouldIdo2022 · 09/10/2022 21:41

150 pm grass livery but full so checks done etc. Have been at 3 yards this year for various reasons in 2 areas of the UK and all charging the same.

nannyquestion1 · 09/10/2022 22:02

£500/month at mine for 5 days part livery and DIY at weekends. They do provide all feed, hay and straw, including delivering it to the stable at the weekends. I certainly won't be paying more than £500!!

DoodlePug · 29/10/2022 20:32

Mines gone up 25% but it hasn't gone up in years, maybe 10 years!

It's by far the cheapest in the area, £80 pm for stable and field, water, electric, use of school.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.