Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Reseeding paddocks

05Channellady · 02/07/2022 13:04

Hello, Does anyone have any experience with reseeding paddocks?? what was the best seed you used? We're looking at PADDOCKS & PASTURE GRASS – Equine Herbal Mix but wondered what others used. TIA

OP's posts:
Please
or

RatherBeRiding · 04/07/2022 11:16

I had to re-seed a portion of my paddocks earlier this year owing to being thoroughly trashed over winter, ending up with a large portion of completely bare ground. I have no idea what seed mixture was used I'm afraid as the farmer who owns the fields supplied it. The area was rolled beforehand, seed scattered fairly thinly (by hand as it wasn't a large enough area to warrant a spreader), then fenced off and left to its own devices. It took quite a while to germinate but being spring it got well rained on and once the weather started to warm up it came good and now you wouldn't know it had ever been bare - ponies are back on it and grazing it although I didn't let them on for a few months.

Please
or

Prancingponies · 04/07/2022 19:00

I have done, just hand sown as previous poster. I used a laminitic friendly grass seed mix though, which I found through googling. Suspect from the same place as they had a herbal element too.

Has all come up beautifully, filling the bare patches well.

Please
or

05Channellady · 05/07/2022 12:41

Thank you, we plan to harrow and seed and leave for 6 - 8 weeks and will see how we fair 😀

OP's posts:
Please
or

closingloop · 05/07/2022 19:15

It's a bit hot and dry for grass seed. Can you leave it until later in the year? Or can you water it regularly?

Please
or

puddlesofmothers · 05/07/2022 23:14

Reseed depending on your soil type and your requirements, it can be as easy as putting pony grass seed down or herbal leys. I personally go for a really long root to my grass seed as the horses are tough on it and it survives better in winter holding the mud together.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.