My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Anyone riding in SE London/Kent atm?

18 replies

Pegase · 24/05/2022 14:13

Just wondered if anybody or their children are riding at a school in SE London/Kent that they recommend? I feel like I've tried most over the years - I'm honestly not a nightmare but just want somewhere where I will be taught by a qualified adult who is interested in and experienced in teaching rather than a 'Senior Instructor' who is 16 and has been teaching a year. I work in education and for my own personality, riding is much psychology as the mechanics.

I had a wonderful horse share which I had to give up when pregnant so looking for the stable that can take me from my riding 'break' to competition, a new loan and then fingers crossed ownership.

I'm nearly 40 and had hoped I would be living the horsey dream by now!!

OP posts:
Pegase · 24/05/2022 14:15

Sorry should add I need a confidence builder as if anyone yells at me to ride better in whatever way, I basically fall apart and get worse and worse! When I had my share I had a wonderful coach but obviously she doesn't have a riding school with horses to borrow!!

OP posts:
XelaM · 24/05/2022 22:39

If you're able to travel to North London I could recommend a few good instructors at different riding schools. One of the schools does a lot of loans/shares, but also has its own school ponies for lessons. Is the aim to compete in SJ and dressage?

Pegase · 24/05/2022 23:02

Yes initially just dressage. Maybe SJ but would be happy for that to just be little u/a comps!

North might be a stretch as I have to fit around the children although I am near the new Elizabeth line if there id anywhere near a tube.

OP posts:
Floralnomad · 25/05/2022 22:43

Wyatt Equestrian at Benenden . Alex is excellent and he has some lovely horses .

MavisMonkey · 08/06/2022 23:29

OP have you tried Mount Mascal Stables in Bexley? My DD has regular lessons there and is very happy there.

Fudgeball123 · 12/06/2022 22:57

Out of interest what do children's riding lessons in London cost please?

1990s · 12/06/2022 23:01

XelaM · 24/05/2022 22:39

If you're able to travel to North London I could recommend a few good instructors at different riding schools. One of the schools does a lot of loans/shares, but also has its own school ponies for lessons. Is the aim to compete in SJ and dressage?

I’d be interested to know North London recommendations if you wouldn’t mind!

XelaM · 13/06/2022 06:14

1990s · 12/06/2022 23:01

I’d be interested to know North London recommendations if you wouldn’t mind!

Greg at Kings Oak is very good and they do a lot of loans/shares. Most kids there loan or share horses they then compete on. But it's predominantly a SJ yard and kids have the option to go to shows together every weekend.

XelaM · 13/06/2022 06:17

Fudgeball123 · 12/06/2022 22:57

Out of interest what do children's riding lessons in London cost please?

It totally depends on the school. The two closest schools to us (North London) - one charges £58, the other £25.

Fudgeball123 · 13/06/2022 06:41

xelam is that private or group. And how long for?

XelaM · 19/06/2022 21:40

Fudgeball123 · 13/06/2022 06:41

xelam is that private or group. And how long for?

Sorry, I missed this.

I attach the prices for Trent Park and Gillian's riding school. It turns out I actually misrepresented the prices a bit. It all depends on ability etc, but a private lesson is around £60. Private lessons at Trent Park are 45mins and at Gillians' up to 1 hour. Kings Oak do 1 hour flatwork group lessons for £20 and 30 mins jumping lessons for £25. They don't do private. There are many riding schools in this area though. Northaw Equestrian Centre might be cheaper for private lessons, but I think they are booked up long in advance.

XelaM · 19/06/2022 21:44

Ah the photos didn't come out clear, but the price table is on their website. It depends on age and ability of the child.

NotaFR · 21/06/2022 06:10

Would second Alex Wyatt place in Benenden (not sure if spelling).

Pegase · 26/08/2022 07:31

Benenden was a bit tricky travel wise so have ended up at Mayfield Biggin Hill. Very happy with instructors so far- really pushing me but in an encouraging way!

OP posts:
Handsfullofholes · 26/08/2022 09:34

I wouldn’t recommend Gillian’s in North London if you are looking for an adult lesson and wanting to do open order etc. They are a great riding school for children, and progress them through quickly teaching them to jump, but they don’t really have any horses over 15.2/3 and the arenas and teaching aren’t as good as Trent Park.

There’s also Lee Valley in North London which is fairly decent if Trent Park is out of your budget.

Ginandcolic · 26/08/2022 11:51

Mayfields in Biggin Hill is great - I had problems finding somewhere I felt comfortable but DD and I have lessons there and we really rate it

Ginandcolic · 26/08/2022 11:52

PS I was a difficult case as I'd ridden a lot in my teens and twenties so wasn't a straightforward learner - the instructors as Mayfields were great at adapting to this and identifying what I need to work on

JaxBX · 14/12/2022 19:50

Hi Pegase
I'm a bit late to the party but are you looking for a loan couple of days a week at a yard with dressage instructor kent area nr Farningham let me know if interested

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.