Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Dancing New Orleans Horse

TheSilveryTinsellyPussycat · 08/01/2022 12:14

I'm wondering whether this actually dressage, Oh horsey people? It must be, surely?
OP's posts:
Please
or

AgathaMystery · 08/01/2022 12:17

That’s magnificent 😂 only in New Orleans…

Please
or

Szyz2020 · 08/01/2022 12:58

Love it!

Please
or

TheSilveryTinsellyPussycat · 08/01/2022 16:03

My question is genuine. Presumably you dressage people can see how the rider is communicating with the horse. The nearest to dressage I did during my short period of riding was to get my horse to back, and turn.

OP's posts:
Please
or

maxelly · 09/01/2022 00:23

Great video! I think it's actually Western style riding/training being shown here (which makes sense given its New Orleans where that would probably be the predominant style), certainly the officer is in a Western style saddle and I think it's a bitless bridle too.

Western riding has a different 'root' purpose than classical dressage, today's competition western ('reining') evolved from moves/training used to work cattle and other lifestock whereas dressage has its origins in cavalry riding. But a lot of moves are shared (e.g. rein back/go backwards, pirouttes, leg yield (go sideways) - although the bow at the end is I think just that horses' particular party trick, it's not something seen at the world championships of either! Both dressage and reining at their heart have the same aim, for a horse that is incredibly well trained, obedient to the subtlest cues from the rider so that it all appears effortless and the whole picture is of horse and rider working together in harmony. The basic aids are the same in both systems too, legs and seat determine direction of travel, pace/gait, rhythm and tempo, hands control the forward motion - you can see the officer moving his legs in the sideways parts and his reins to back up and pirouette. There are differences too in how the rider uses their weight and their aids (e.g. bitless bridles are standard in western, not competition legal in dressage although some use them in training) and the end result is quite different in how the horses carry themselves - here's a random youtube video of competition western as an e.g.

Please
or

Pleasedontdothat · 09/01/2022 16:27

To be honest it looked like the horse was unhappy to me - going sideways, backwards and spinning because it didn’t want to go forwards. The rider was very calm though which was good but you really wouldn’t want your horse to be doing that in a dressage test (you’d always want less tail-swishing and happier ears)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.