My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Turning away

7 replies

frostyfingers · 14/11/2021 21:10

I have to turn my lovely horse away for a minimum of 12 months in the hope that she will recover from a suspensory injury. A friend has offered her field, with sheep, which would be ideal as it’s smallish and flat, she’s on hand and it’s only a few minutes away from me.

My question is would she be alright with sheep for company? I have another horse and pony here so would have to try and find another pony. She’s a fairly chilled character and I don’t think it would just be sheep for the whole time, just over the winter, but is that enough company for a few months?

OP posts:
GipsyCob · 14/11/2021 21:23

I think it depends on the pony, I have one that would be fine and one that would do his nut. Sorry that’s not very helpful but I have my fingers crossed dpony recovers.

lastqueenofscotland · 15/11/2021 06:49

Yep afraid it depends on the horse. Some are absolutely fine with sheep, some don’t find it enough company and I’ve known a few horses that kill sheep…

CountryCob · 15/11/2021 17:47

No extra info on safety but sheep do eat pony tails sometimes, have known it to happen to a highland pony although they are quite tolerant types usually

Didiplanthis · 15/11/2021 17:53

My pony is very chilled and happy with his sheep buddies. They sleep in the stable together (open door) and share Haynets - the only bugger is the sheep chews holes in the bottom of the haynets...

frostyfingers · 15/11/2021 19:31

I think I’m going to give it a go, she’s not far away and I can check how she’s doing (plus she’s under supervision at my friend’s house who loves her to bits). If she doesn’t settle I’ll bring her back and look for a small companion.

OP posts:
bettertimesarecomingnow · 05/12/2021 20:04

@frostyfingers

I think I’m going to give it a go, she’s not far away and I can check how she’s doing (plus she’s under supervision at my friend’s house who loves her to bits). If she doesn’t settle I’ll bring her back and look for a small companion.

How did your horse get on with the sheep?

Our pony has a sheep companion called Floppy and they are inseparable! When we take dpony out; the sheep bawls constantly!

We bottle fed her as a lamb and so she's very friendly. When it rains she stands underneath dpony - so cute
frostyfingers · 11/12/2021 08:49

I haven’t moved her yet, I wanted to let her down and rough her off a bit at home. Her shoes come off this week and then the plan is to move her next week and hope that she likes her woolly friends! She’s shared a her field with them before but has always had an equine companion. Fingers will be crossed….

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.