Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Best place for kit for beginner

Strikemepink · 25/04/2021 14:15

Hello all, my daughter has not long started riding lessons and I would like to start getting her some of her own kit, such as boots, jodhpurs, hat, crop but I’m not sure where is best to shop (online) and what brands are decent quality? She’s only 10 so things will get grown out of fairly readily, but I don’t mind her having her own things as horse ownership / regular access to a horse outside of lessons is a long way off for us so this will make it seem more real.

Thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

lastqueenofscotland · 25/04/2021 15:08

Her hat needs to be fitted properly.
I’d head out to a proper saddlery.
Everything else can be got online fairly cheaply, but I cannot stress enough the importance of a correctly fitted hat

Please
or

Strikemepink · 25/04/2021 15:31

Thank you, yes that makes sense. Can anyone recommend a saddler in the East Midlands? I’m not a horse person and know nobody who is! I will also ask at the riding centre for recommendations.

Are basic jodhpur boots okay as far as boots go? Anything to avoid?

OP's posts:
Please
or

lastqueenofscotland · 25/04/2021 17:22

Basic jods and boots are fine especially if not riding too frequently
Where abouts are yoy? A quick google has pulled up one in Retford and Risley

Please
or

Blondie1984 · 26/04/2021 02:23

Decathlon has a pretty good range but definitely get the hat properly fitted

Please
or

FreedomFromLockdown · 26/04/2021 11:02

As above hat must be properly fitted and should comply with the correct safety standard. The cheaper ones are fine but different brands suit different head shapes.
Short boots are good for beginners as they come off if they get caught in the case of a fall.
It is worth looking for second hand for everything other than the hat, as like you say they grow so fast.

Please
or

maxelly · 26/04/2021 12:06

Echo what others say, your nearest proper tack shop to get hat fitted, decathlon, ebay or facebook marketplace for everything else. Short jod boots and suede half chaps are what most kids have on their feet (much better value for growing feet than long boots), and I'd def buy those second hand as they'll be soon outgrown. Riding tights are getting popular now as an alternative to jodhpurs, and the cheap brands are fine. Gloves I always go for woolly magic gloves rather than the more expensive leather or neoprene type ones, to me they feel better/less stiff on the hands plus being £2 a pair rather than £20 is a bonus as they frequently get lost or ruined. Crops similarly, I wouldn't buy her anything fancy, just a cheap basic one, as round here you only have to put it down for a second for it to disappear forever, over the years we must have supplied the entire riding school!

Please
or

NicolaDunsire · 26/04/2021 12:09

eBay/FB marketplace for everything except a hat, & arguably a body protector.

Our stables has hand me downs, very useful!

Please
or

Strikemepink · 26/04/2021 20:35

Thank you all!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Heyha · 26/04/2021 20:43

If you're anywhere near Rugby, Tower Farm is good, and I'm told Townfields in Coventry is also excellent but I've never been myself. Both good for your hat, I'm not sure about online for kids' stuff but as others have said basic stuff will still be loads more comfortable than non-riding kit so don't feel you have to spend a fortune. If she wants gloves either the little stretchy magic gloves or the thin cotton ones are absolutely fine and usually cheap as well.

Please
or

reluctantbrit · 02/05/2021 21:50

DD has most of her jodhpurs from Amazon. The boots we buy from the saddlery where we also get her hat and protector from.

She has Dublin short boots, we pay around £30 for a pair, they are comfy according to her, she can spend a full day in them without blisters or painful feet at the end. They also survive the odd horse stomping on her feet.

Please
or

Strikemepink · 03/05/2021 09:47

Heyha thank you for the Tower Farm recommendation, we got some boots and jodhpurs there, will go back for a helmet.

Thank you also reluctantbrit

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.