Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

New horse - what rugs

EloiseBridgerton · 07/02/2021 17:44

All being well were collecting a new horse next weekend. We have native ponies who don’t need many rugs, so this just trying to work out what rugs he’ll need. He’s fully clipped, ish. I’m thinking the following. What am I missing?

Stable rug
Fly sheet
Medium weight turnout x 2 (one with a full neck)
Wasn’t going to do a heavyweight as thinking we’ll just layer up.

Thank you!

OP's posts:
Please
or

RedLipsAndRosyCheeks · 07/02/2021 18:10

Spare stable rug maybe?
And a fleece type thing for extra layer when needed.
Exercise sheet?

Please
or

EloiseBridgerton · 07/02/2021 18:47

Thank you! This is going to get pricey isn’t it 😆

OP's posts:
Please
or

HappyGirlNow · 07/02/2021 19:02

How exciting! 😁🐴

2 turnout rugs
2 stable rugs

I love the Premier Equine liner systems where you buy various weights of liner and pop them under the rug.

Fly rug (though you won’t need this for a while!)
Exercise sheet for if you’re going out and it’s very cold
Cooler rug to let horse dry off but keep from getting a chill if sweaty after exercise before putting outdoor or stable rug on

Please
or

RedLipsAndRosyCheeks · 07/02/2021 19:07

Yep! But shopping for horsey stuff is so much fun you won't mind.

Please
or

EloiseBridgerton · 07/02/2021 19:31

I know :) it’s so exciting just trying not to get ahead of ourselves as still vetting to go. It’s for my daughter and she’s trying to decide on colour numnah and various other accessories :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

EmmaC78 · 07/02/2021 19:37

I would recommend the liner system too. I have the Rambo so it is a 100g outer and then you can buy liners of various weights. The liners fit in the washing machine so it saves money on rug washing.

Please
or

SnowmanDrinkingSnowballs · 08/02/2021 20:17

I too use the liner system, I have both Rambo and premier equine. I would think you will need at least 2 stable rugs too. You would only need a fly rug if your pony has sweet itch.
I would add a hi viz exercise sheet or quarter sheet if you will be hacking.

Please
or

lastqueenofscotland · 08/02/2021 21:07

I don’t like premier equine personally I find they are very heavy?

I’ve got thoroughbreds... but mine have the following
LW Stable with and without necks
LW turnout with and without necks
MW turnout and stable with and without necks
HW turnout and stable without necks.
Fleece coolers
Newmarket wool rugs because I think they are pretty
I’ve got Newmarket exercise sheets, fleece lined waterproof exercise sheets, quilted not waterproof exercise sheets, and a light shower proof exercise sheet.
They also have show sheets with their names on them so I can look “all the kit can’t ride for shit” when we go team chasing and I fall off in the starting box!

Blush

I hope my DP doesn’t see this Blush

In my defence most of them are fairly old... the Newmarket sheets were given to me by my old boss in my work riding days when I was about 20!

Please
or

lastqueenofscotland · 08/02/2021 21:08

Oh they also have rain sheets for warmer wet days...

Anything to stop the buggers just standing at the fence at the slightest hint of bad weather

Please
or

EloiseBridgerton · 09/02/2021 06:32

Thank you. God knows where we’ll store and dry all of this 🙈

With your thoroughbreds, in this hideous cold weather how many layers do you put them in?

OP's posts:
Please
or

midnightstar66 · 09/02/2021 07:23

I don't know anyone who changes outdoor rugs these days in to a stable one. Most are dual purpose and only get wet on the outside- they are a million times better than they used to be - they also dry far better spread out on a warm horse and you don't have the issue of having to put a cold still wet turn out on to a horse the next day. Having a couple of fleece/thermatex type rugs for after exercise and layering should be all you need. Most horses in the uk are chronically over rugged which comes with health implications. Feeding quality ad-lib hay in winter is far better for warmth and weight management.

Please
or

OldSpeclkledHen · 09/02/2021 08:03

@midnightstar66 👈🏻 this with bells on

Please
or

lastqueenofscotland · 09/02/2021 09:07

We have rooms at the back of the stable. Which is so helpful!

Please
or

countrygirl99 · 09/02/2021 09:09

I haven't used stable rugs in years

Please
or

lastqueenofscotland · 09/02/2021 09:10

My TBs one is tough as old boots and holds her weight well (they are both on completely ad lib hay and our grazing amazingly is still ok) and just has a MW with a neck on, with it being -5 in the week I’ll pop a LW on underneath at night.
The other drops weight insanely fast as soon as it gets slightly cold despite eating me out of house and home, he’s in a LW with a neck and a HW at the moment.

Please
or

thelittlestrhino · 09/02/2021 11:01

You'll need to wait until you get your horse and he'll let you know the wardrobe he requires Grin. Both of mine run 'hot' and need minimal rugging, but a couple at work are really wimpy and need quite a lot!

I'd definitely add a rain sheet to your list, they're a godsend when it is mild but wet, and with yours being clipped it'll probably be a while until he can be out naked.

I tend to stick to rambo/bucas/old style Fal for mine as they fit my horses the best and last forever (my old boy is currently wearing a 22 year old Fal). I can't be bothered with liners or rugs that are heavy to handle like the Premier Equine ones. Once you know what fits/what your horse is like you'll be able to pick up rugs on sale or 2nd hand much cheaper.

Please
or

RatherBeRiding · 09/02/2021 13:18

I would definitely add a full neck rain sheet for thoroughly wet but fairly mild days plus a lightweight turnout (100-150gr fill) for transitional weather otherwise you will be faced with the choice of turning out naked when it's too mild for a medium weight but still chilly, or worrying about him sweating in a too-heavy rug.

Always better to under-rug than over-rug.

I agree that I've never used a stable rug in years apart from the dreaded box rest!

Please
or

frostyfingers · 09/02/2021 13:26

My 2 horses, both of which are fully clipped and mostly live out have a rain sheet, a medium weight turnout with detachable neck, a heavyweight with neck and a thermal fleece each which I find covers all bases. When they’re in at night, which isn’t more than twice a week they just keep the turnouts on.

The older horse feels the cold more and is currently in her medium weight without the neck, her heavyweight and a snuggy hood and has been warm and toasty throughout. I am careful though about her overheating and as soon as the temp goes above freezing the medium weight comes off. As a pp said, particularly if the horses are outside, that they are much better under rugged.

Try Discount Equestrian, I’ve found a few bargains there.

Please
or

bouncydog · 09/02/2021 23:09

Have you got any rugs you could try for the fit OP? Our TB x ID is only 15’2 but needs a 6’6” and is broad in the chest so some rugs just don’t fit. She’s also high withered. Premier Equine with liner system are good. Their buster fly rugs are excellent. Expensive but they often have offers on and they do keep them dry in poor weather. Currently snowing but she’s in a 200gm as not clipped. She’s have a stable though.

Please
or

Mysa74 · 15/02/2021 22:16

I Grew with the others, I haven't used a stable rug in years. Nothing worse than taking a muddy wet rug off of a lovely warm horse and putting a cold one on, then reversing the routine in the morning. Mud everywhere... It seems mean too. I just leave them warm and snug and leave them in peace, they dry in no time. Fresh horse poo soaks into stable rugs...
I'd just get a couple of turnouts with detachable necks, a rain sheet for days when you don't really need a rug but don't want anything to stop you riding and a thermatex type to wick sweat off. You can even put the thermatex under your rainsheet if you're worried that a freezing morning might turn into a hotter day.

Please
or

Slippersandacuppa · 19/02/2021 20:17

Yep, I agree - no stable rugs here either. I’m hoping they’ll be out 24/7 soon so that’s just as well! My desperately-trying-to-add-condition TB is currently in a MW turnout (with neck off). In the coldest weather he had a HW turnout with neck. He has a rain sheet and a cooler rug. I was advised not to put fly rugs on as the movement is so beneficial to them. I was a bit soft and do put fly masks on. He’s not currently clipped.

Tell us more about your new arrival?!

Please
or

Tronkmanton · 19/02/2021 20:30

My two ISH - one old, one young - both fully clipped - are currently in medium weight turnouts with necks. They were also in these in the very cold days/snow we had last week. (I have a heavy weight turnout that I have never used- bought 10 years ago!). With it so mild they’ll soon be in light weight no neck turn outs. I very rarely use stable rugs, even though they’re in every night - the turn outs dry so well & it saves loads of hassle. So my advice is to get a medium weight turnout with detachable neck, a lightweight/no fill turnout with no neck and a proper thermatex for travel/after exercise if sweaty. These are the medium weight turnouts they have- really useful for finding them in the field in the dark - www.naylors.com/blog/horseware-amigo-bravo-12-reflectech-plus/

Please
or

Mysa74 · 21/02/2021 08:15

How are you getting on with your new horse op?
Do you have any pictures to share?

Please
or

Heyha · 21/02/2021 21:05

I can't remember the last time I used or bought a stable rug, horrible smelly things! I kept my elderly TB quite happy with two turnout rugs with liner systems and detachable necks (Weatherbeeta, they fitted her frame really well). Then we had a fly rug and a waffle rug and that was it.
The small fat ponies have a fleece and a no fill turnout each. I don't think either of them have actually worn them once in four years but I didn't want to be stuck without options just in case!

Please
or

NoProblem123 · 22/02/2021 08:01

Rug shopping is my favourite kind of shopping!

I have:
MW turnout with hood
LW turnout with hood
MW stable rug
Fancy travel rug with his name embroidered
Stable sheet
Cooler
Fleecy exercise wrap

All of these are horsewear ones as they’re my favourite. If I’m honest I could manage with just the first 2 on the list.

Waiting for the sales to get one of these rug systems as they can be a bit pricey.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.