Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Oldie has diarrhoea

Springersrock · 21/10/2020 14:43

Our oldie has diarrhoea.

She’s always had a bit of a delicate tummy and gets the major shits if anything slightly changes in her diet. We started on this years hay about 2 months ago and she got a bit cow-patty. It does normally sort itself out pretty quickly - normally I’d gradually introduce changes slowly but we were taken by surprise, so started her on a gut balancer. All fine, back to normal within a couple of days. We have kept her on the balancer just in case.

Earlier this week the diarrhoea started again, despite the balancer, a lot worse than before.

I’ve Googled and obviously scared myself silly

Vet has been out this morning and checked her over - she’s pretty well in herself, albeit a bit washed out and not quite herself, she’s dropped a bit of weight, although she was quite rotund to begin with so no major issue as long as she doesn’t drop too much more. Condition-wise she’s good, stomach is making all the right noises, heart is good, teeth all good. Drinking lots and her appetite isn’t quite as normal.

Big worry is that she is on Danillon long term - coming up to 2 years on 1 a day (plus the odd extra one if she does something silly) so they’re doing some blood tests and we’re now awaiting results.

She has arthritis and isn’t field sound without the Danillon so if it’s that that’s causing it we have a problem. Vet did mention there’s other stuff we can try - but to be honest, we’ve tried pretty much every supplement under the sun, we’ve tried magnetic boots and had the chiro look at her, etc, etc, so I’m not sure what else to try.

It might be nothing to do with the Danillon, if not, I have no idea.

Just wondered if anyone had any experiences or advice

Thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Honeyroar · 22/10/2020 20:58

I haven’t anything useful to add other than my oldie is in a very similar state (although not ever had any gut issues and is a good doer) and she’s had diarrhoea for a couple of weeks. It’s stopped now though. The Danilon doesn’t seem to bother her digestive system at all (she’s been on it two or three years). I mentioned it to the vet, who was out for an abscess, and he mentioned some feed to thicken up stools, but I forgot it’s name as my mare came right again. How old is she?

Please
or

yorkshirecountrylass · 22/10/2020 21:12

One of mine can be similar, usually improves with Pink Powder in his feed may be worth a try

Please
or

Springersrock · 23/10/2020 13:01

Thanks.

Her blood tests have come back and all is good.

We also walked into 4 lovely firm poos this morning Hmm

We’ve been using the Protexin gut balancer as that was what the vet recommended last time she got the shits but will try the Pink Powder.

The vet has given us some other stuff to try as well.

Thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Biddie191 · 23/10/2020 14:23

Glad she's on the mend.
Protexin do a paste too, I always have one in my emergency cupboard, it's nice tasting, and works very well - I think it's called gut bind.
A small amount (10ml) of kaolin and morphine is good for slowing up things, but I wouldn't recommend if they are on other medication, in case it reacts, and is more a quick fix when you know they are fine, but have eaten something that's gone through them (so got out into a field with lush grass, for instance).
Kaolin alone is good though, and I don't think would react with other meds.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.