My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Lame in vetting..what to do?

24 replies

MrsMorse · 08/04/2019 17:07

Been looking for a pony for my children for ages and found a lovely 15 yr old mare who seemed fabulous. Only problem is she was lame in the vetting, which came as a surprise to owner and us. Vet advised box rest then trot up again over the weekend. Owner now says she’s sound. Vet could find no evidence of why she was lame. I’m now nervous. Any success stories of buying a horse who was lame in the vetting, or am I grasping at straws? I have our riding instructor suggesting we get the pony xrayed but the owner isn’t keen as the Pony hasn’t been lame in the 8 yes they’ve owned her. Through small horsey circles I know this is true.

OP posts:
PrayingandHoping · 08/04/2019 17:15

How lame? How many 10ths did the vet say? Was it just on trot up? Or on flexion tests? Lunge hard circle? Ridden?

I would be very surprised if there are many 15yr old horses out there that are 100% sound. But.... it depends how lame it is and what circumstances and what you want to do with it

At 15yrs old if you x Ray you will find arthritis. Of course you will. And also without a work up and nerve blocks you have no idea where to x Ray

Babyfoal · 08/04/2019 17:53

How much are you paying?

Fazackerley · 08/04/2019 17:56

What does your vet think? I wouldn't expect lameness at 15 as a given. Can you see their vet history do you know anyone who knows the pony and yes, how much are you paying!!

Fazackerley · 08/04/2019 17:56

Insurance will be an issue.

Fazackerley · 08/04/2019 17:57

Sorry I see you know people who know the pony. Depends 100% on the asking price

MrsMorse · 08/04/2019 18:23

Asking price is 3.5k plus tack

4/10ths lame in a just trot up.

OP posts:
PrayingandHoping · 08/04/2019 18:27

Ok. That's pretty lame for not even under flexion etc

Did the vet suggest having it revetted once it had been rested for a week?

QuestionableMouse · 08/04/2019 18:29

Honestly it could be something or nothing. You could spend a fortune trying to track it down or vetting with a lameness specialist just to have it be something like a bit of stone bruise or hot nail that healed.

If you like the pony, go and see her again, ideally at short notice (so no time to dope her!) and have a really good feel of her legs/feet. If you can get your farrier to go too even better.

I'd also be less inclined to worry if she'd been in constant work than if she'd been out of work for a bit.

It really depends how much you liked the pony and if you feel like taking the chance. (Same as any horse really.)

MrsMorse · 08/04/2019 18:47

Vet has been fab and advised resting then riding again if ok after a few days - which they did. She’s now sound so just seeing how she goes this week. She hasn’t been ridden much for various reasons. We really like her, this is the problem. Even the vet says she’s a cracking pony. Think everyone’s advice sums it up. No easy or obvious answer so have to see how she goes this week then get her revetted. Thanks everyone

OP posts:
mando12345 · 08/04/2019 20:00

Are you sure she hadn't been ridden much recently due to lameness issues?

mando12345 · 08/04/2019 20:03

One possibility could be to ask if you could loan with a view to buy for a month.

MrsMorse · 08/04/2019 20:04

I don’t think so but who knows for sure. The owners daughter has a new horse so she’s been in the field a lot for last. Few weeks. The rider, owner, their instructor and yard owner, plus our instructor all saw her ridden when we tried her and she wasn’t lame then. 4 days later she was. Taken me months to find a pony we even wanted to vet and haven’t found anything nearly as lovely as she is

OP posts:
QuestionableMouse · 08/04/2019 20:12

I'd get your farrier to take a look at the second vetting. Sometimes a second set of eyes can spot something. Also ask if there's any recent video of her being ridden.

Fazackerley · 08/04/2019 20:43

I'd walk away. Always a chance I'd regret it of course.

Babyfoal · 08/04/2019 21:22

I'd go loan with view to buy. Have you been given access to vet records?

MrsMorse · 08/04/2019 21:42

I think if she’s still sound by the weekend we’ll try the vetting again and then say we loan her for a month to see how she goes. Not sure what they’ll say but it’s beat compromise for us

OP posts:
RatherBeRiding · 09/04/2019 13:51

Honestly it could be something or nothing. You could spend a fortune trying to track it down or vetting with a lameness specialist just to have it be something like a bit of stone bruise or hot nail that healed.

Absolutely! I've known people who've bought horses that have failed the vetting, negotiated a reduced price, and not had a moment's issue from that day forward (e.g. failed flexion test, bought for half the price, spent the next 2 years BE with no issues!).

One of mine went quite inexplicably lame. Vet couldn't find out why. Advised rest. Then we trotted up - still lame. Booked full lameness work-up for the following week - got there and she was only 1/10 lame and to my inexperienced eyes was completely sound. Vet said don't bother with lameness work-up, give another week off then crack on. Never been lame before or since. Weird!

In your shoes I'd try another vetting and ask for a LWVTB. Any vetting is only going to tell you that the horse is sound on that day. Might have been dog-lame 6 months ago. Might do its suspensories the day after you buy it.

QuestionableMouse · 09/04/2019 14:41

The dressage rider I used to groom for always said horses were like us. You might take a funny step that leaves you a bit gimpy for a day or so and yet there'll be nothing to find/diagnose really. One of hers went really lame suddenly. Thought it was a broken bone but no, it turned out to a a tiny cut that healed really quickly and the horse was back sound within the week! (though he was the biggest drama queen of a horse I've ever met. Very very sensitive to the point the stitching on your boots would leave a mark on him. He was a chestnut and apparently his dam was the same!)

GreenTangerine · 09/04/2019 21:46

I’d walk away. Like PP have said I doubt many child-appropriate 15yo ponies would actually pass a vetting. But I’d far rather walk away now and save the potential heart break further down the line.l

Moanranger · 10/04/2019 12:05

£3.5k is a lot for a pony. If they will go LWVTB, that would be the best solution. If you buy & lameness is serious then it could be a v sad & tragic outcome.

Megan2018 · 10/04/2019 12:06

Don't do it.

Everyone I know that had a vetting re-done due to lameness the first time ended up down the line with issues. Keep looking. It's never worth it.

longearedbat · 12/04/2019 21:24

I wouldn't. 3.5k is not a small sum. Yes, it might have been a small niggle, but on the other hand it could be a warning of things to come. I know it's sad if the pony is otherwise perfect, but it would be even sadder for your children to have a pony that turns out to be unrideable a few months down the line, and of course you would be 3.5k out of pocket.

MagicalTwinky · 13/04/2019 21:32

I'd walk away, as hard as that may be. No matter what the outcome of the second vetting, you'd still need to inform the insurers of the lameness which will likely result in exclusions.

MrsMorse · 13/04/2019 21:40

Just to update. We did walk away. The right decision but not enjoying starting the search again!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.