My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Will she be fitted for a hat!?

11 replies

spydie · 07/04/2019 16:55

First world problem... but tearing my hair out now!

DD has just turned 3 and will not be fitted for a hat. We've had a fair few meltdowns at the local tack shop trying to get her to try the damn thing on. She is going through a real awful phase presently (think threenager), which doesn't help. She constantly twitters on about having a riding hat, and wants to have rides on my horse, which I'm now saying no to unless she has a hat on, despite really wanting her to ride and I'm on the lookout for a shetland for her.

I'm now at a point where I'm seriously considering ordering one online though. It's not just for riding that I want her to have one, but for wearing whenever she's at the yard as she's trying to get more involved now and I just feel it's the safest thing. Please tell me I'm not the only one that has ended up doing this out of desperation!? Confused

OP posts:
imamearcat · 07/04/2019 17:02

We've had similar drama. I think maybe they find them heavy / uncomfortable? I just stick a bike helmet on mine.

Grumpbum123 · 07/04/2019 18:23

No hat - no riding worked with my very stubborn 4 yr old

Backinthebox · 08/04/2019 09:28

No hat, no riding here. Get her to the point where you say this enough that she asks you to take her to buy a hat. At that age they can find them quite heavy, but there are some lighter weight hats out there.

spydie · 08/04/2019 10:22

The no hat no riding line doesn't seem to be sinking in, I don't know if it's because she stop young to make the connection herself, or what. Husband is going to try and see if he has more luck Hmm

The hats we were trying to get her to try on were really lightweight, I was surprised at how light they were, but then I'm comparing to my old skull cap as a little kid, which probably weighed more than me!

Tbf the only riding she has done has been held on by one of us, and we sadly lost my old pony in the autumn so haven't really done anything at all with her since. But now she wants to groom my mare and sit on her, and she's 14.2hh so whilst not huge, compared to our rather short 3 year old she's massive!! I also have a yearling, so I would just feel far happier knowing that she had a hat on for when she's at the yard with me, just in case.

OP posts:
spydie · 08/04/2019 10:23

Ugh darn autocorrect... that should say, because she's too young....

OP posts:
Wolfiefan · 08/04/2019 10:29

She’s three. Say no to the rides until she will have a hat on. If she won’t have one fitted then she isn’t going to wear whatever you order will she? (Especially if it’s a bad fit and is uncomfortable.)

Innernutshell · 08/04/2019 11:07

she wants to groom my mare and sit on her,

Great! Explain to DD that yes she can do that but everyone wears a hat around horses.

Of course you'll {& DH if he's involved} have to wear yours too.

BertrandRussell · 08/04/2019 11:10

No hat no riding.

You need them to do what they are told instantly around horses anyway, so this is a good start!

bengalcat · 08/04/2019 11:13

No hat no riding - simple . Even a stationary horse could unexpectedly veer to the side and a child slide off .

QuestionableMouse · 08/04/2019 20:18

My LO has lessons and is roughly the same age. I bought him is own hat but it was a bit of a process. He found it very scary at first, especially with strangers going near his face. Will she let you put the hat on in the shop? Also if you can get someone used to kids it helps a lot! Treat it a bit like her having a hair cut.

If that fails, you can probably fit one yourself at home. There are videos online to show you what to look for and you'll probably find she's much better when she's used to wearing one.

Didicat · 09/04/2019 22:31

The yard my mum has hers on has a no hat your not allowed out of the car unless you are over 14. This is due to a tragic accident with a 7/8 year old that died.

My daughter would never wear a woolly hat or a sun hat, but she was so keen to see the ponies she would wear the “pony”hat. She had two visits where she had to stay in the car, she’s six now and on hat number 4 as won’t countenance any discomfort, but as soon as we get on any yard she puts her hat on out of habit.

Good luck!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.