Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Affordable tow car

Jinglebells321 · 19/01/2019 23:31

Considering the possibility of getting my own transport again - used to have a 505 that I towed with an xtrail then a shogun then a sorrento.

Trailer was fab but I just seemed to have constant issues with all of the cars - clutch and fly wheel on xtrail, turbo, cylinder head and driveshaft on the shogun, transmission on the sorrento although generally that was a good car but it was an automatic so thirsty on fuel.

I've really enjoyed having a "normal" car since giving up my transport - the constant issues, high running costs and high costs of repairs was a nightmare.

I'm only looking to get out and about once a month these days - and probably less than that over winter.

Based on my experience of having my own transport in the past, I don't know if it would be feasible to run a proper tow car just for that so maybe hiring transport might be better.

Interested to see if anyone else uses a more economical car to tow that feels first and foremost like a family car (with good mpg) but with that added towing capability if needed?

We currently run an astra tdi & a sandero stepway but are looking to swap both and rather than having two medium cars have a larger car and a run around - hoping the larger car might be an option for towing if we can find soething that suits.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Maneandfeathers · 20/01/2019 06:28

To be honest I really do think towing kills cars Blush

I had a brand new Tiguan and towed a single trailer with a pony, clutch went and the oil overheated within 6 months of using it twice per week if that. My friend has an x trail, lightweight trailer and a pony and that has cost her fortunes too and it struggles with towing even though it’s well under weight.

I think you either need a massive car with a huge towing capacity (3t?) or don’t bother.

Hiring would be cheaper if it’s once per month.

Please
or

whymewhyme · 20/01/2019 08:03

I have a Volvo v70 so it's old now lol tows my horses brilliantly Smile

Please
or

elastamum · 20/01/2019 10:36

I have an xc90. Tows two horses in an equitrek no problem

Please
or

Theresahairbrushinthefridge · 20/01/2019 12:16

I agonised over this. The key is a car with enough oomph. But that equals expensive and uneconomical.

I decided in the end to only go with 3.5t towing capacity. Although that's more than we need.

Many people tow illegally and dangerously.

We have ended up with a second hand 100k mileage VW Touareg.

Please
or

Pleasedontdothat · 20/01/2019 13:39

We have a Mercedes e-class, a single trailer and a 16hh TB/ID cross - it’s well within the car’s towing limit of 2.5t and feels fine

Please
or

Asdf12345 · 20/01/2019 17:26

If towing one horse in a light trailer you have loads of options. It gets more difficult if you want to take two out.

We have a disco for towing and a small red thing for everything else.

Please
or

MyNameIsFartacus · 20/01/2019 18:15

OP how many horses will you be looking to tow and how heavy are they? If a single horse under 16hh you could easily look at something like a Skoda Octavia 4x4 version and something like a Bateson Derby trailer which only weighs 675kg unladen which you could get downplated to reflect the maximum towing capacity of the car.

Otherwise if it's two horses you really do need something with a 3.5 tonne towing capacity - I went from a Kia Sportage (don't bother, they're shit!) to a Ssangyong Rexton which happily lugs mine and my friends horse round the countryside, I use it as my daily car too and don't find it horrific, it has been pretty reliable even though it's old and they are quite cheap to buy!

Please
or

RatherBeRiding · 20/01/2019 18:32

I'm afraid I agree that if you are regularly towing 2 in a biggish trailer you really need to bite the bullet and get something that has the guts,otherwise you will just have a host of mechanical problems.

I have just parted with my lovely old 3.1 Trooper. It pulled like a train - had an Equitrek and towed 2 ponies. But ponies now semi retired and it's cheaper to hire for the occasional outing than keep a big car like that. The cost of diesel for "normal" driving is astronomical and short journeys doesn't do those big engined diesels any favours. As the engine wasn't working to capacity I was starting to get a few niggles.

However, as a tow car it was perfect - pulled me out of many a muddy field when big lorries had to be towed out with a tractor. Could do a hill start even with the heavy trailer and 2 horses on the back. I would never try to economise on a tow car - it's just not safe.

Please
or

popcornwizard · 20/01/2019 19:24

Another vote for SsangYong Rexton, has a 3.5t pull, relatively cheap to buy, fuel ok ish, excellent turning circle for everyday use, more of them around now.

Please
or

Cariadxx · 24/01/2019 18:12

We have a Honda Cr-V and I think that would fit your criteria op

Please
or

Jinglebells321 · 24/01/2019 23:47

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Re towing killing the car - sadly this had been my experience in the past which is why I'm somewhat reluctant to buy another.

A small lorry is also an option I might consider if I can find a reasonably priced one.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.