My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

New pony share - getting to know each other

5 replies

Notmytelescope · 11/01/2019 20:26

I have just agreed a pony share and it starts next week - I can’t wait! It’s many years since I had my own horse and I am just thinking through what we might do to start with. - All my recent riding has been very directed.

Shes a mature, well schooled horse and she is staying in her own yard, so I am not expecting to need too much settling in time?

What should I start with to get to know her and let her get to know me?

OP posts:
justnippingin · 11/01/2019 20:52

Lots of time together on the ground, just hang out with her and slowly get to know each other.

Not too many expectations riding wise to start with, hop on and see how you both feel. You'll get a feel for her quite quickly I'd imagine, if she's on her own yard, she'll probably guide you especially as she sounds experienced. You'll also probably meet people who may offer to ride out with you, you'll know more when you go to her.

I'm sure it'll be wonderful, happy times ahead. Enjoy her, lovely for you.

Notmytelescope · 13/01/2019 17:32

Thanks, I can’t wait. I’m wondering though, about whether a short hack is an option? Or should I just stay in the school? I rode her out last week with her owner ( on foot) and all went well, but is this too much too soon?

OP posts:
maxelly · 13/01/2019 23:04

Excellent, very exciting! For me I would try and get into a routine with her as soon as possible, particularly as she hasn't had to move yards. So if you want to be mainly hacking her then I would start as soon as possible. Obviously be sensible, probably a gallop across open fields with a motorway at the other end would be best to wait until you are sure you have brakes but a stroll up and down a lane which is familiar to her should be absolutely fine. Ideally I would go out with another horse for company at least the first few times, or if that's not possible then with someone on foot.

If you are feeling a bit wobbly about it (not saying you should be, just because you asked the question), you could do 20 mins in the school first and then finish off with 5 mins up the lane and 5 mins back, to end things on a nice note? Good luck!

justnippingin · 14/01/2019 20:28

I don't think a short hack is too much too soon, she sounds an experienced horse and as Maxelly says, a short stroll maybe nice to start with.

Go and enjoy yourself, don't over think it...it'll be lovely I'm sure.

Notmytelescope · 14/01/2019 22:07

thanks everyone! We had a brilliant first ride. She really is a lovely horse.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.