My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

I’ve done it!

5 replies

AngelicCurls · 04/09/2018 17:39

I’ve finally taken the plunge and bought my first horse Grin after 30 years of wanting one! Had loan and part share horses before but this will be the first horse that is truly mine Shock. He’s being vetted next week and all being well should be with me by the week after! Feel like I’ve turned into a beginner again, over thinking what I’ll do with him on the first week or so, browsing rugs/tack on line etc but am super excited. Fingers crossed he passes the vetting!

Any recs for a plan for the first week? He doesn’t come with tack so will have to wait for the saddler to come out and measure io for a saddle the week he gets to me so was thinking of just fuss and cuddles the first few days, the odd lunge session then hop on as soon as I have a saddle. Any tips or suggestions very welcome Smile

OP posts:
Almostflownthenest · 06/09/2018 20:52

Lucky you! No advice but I hope you have a fantastic future together. x

Theresahairbrushinthefridge · 06/09/2018 21:35

Give him a chance then settle in. Walk him in hand. Turn him out. Groom. Etc etc.

My gorgeous horse went psycho when he moved new yards. Everyone thought I'd gone mad buying him. It took him a good few weeks to settle. Now he is the most placid charming and did I say handsome chap.

Saddle wise. Don't get pushed into buying a flash one. Get something secondhand that your saddler will part exchange later. Give yourself a chance to figure out what you really want.

Likewise secondhand rugs until you know what fits his shape.

Have fun!

butcherswife · 07/09/2018 15:15

How exciting!! I bought my first horse a couple of years ago so I know exactly how you feel.

My mare was a 3yo at the time so I spent a lot of time just grooming her, taking her down the lane to graze, doing a bit of inhand work with her and generally just getting to know each other. I think it took her a long time to really settle in with us, probably 6 months.

She also came with nothing so I asked the previous owner what size she was in rugs etc. and bought bits and pieces in the sales or on ebay. Shopping for all the things before they arrive was my favourite part! I had loaned before I got mine but I did feel an absolute novice once I got her. I enjoy reading and bought a load of books to fill me with everything I could ever need to know and the lady I share my yard with has been a great help.

puppymouse · 07/09/2018 21:58

I got my first at late 30s - dream come true! I hacked alone, rode in the school (cantered and jumped) and pottered about the yard when I tried him at his old owner's yard. He didn't put a hoof wrong. Everyone warned me not to buy a TB but I thought he seemed manageable. The following is to explain how not to do it, not to scare you!

By the end of the first week of having him he'd nipped a huge bruise on my shoulder, tanked off and barged me every time he was turned out, refused to hack alone, spinning and reversing and bronked with my yard owner because she rode him with a friend who turned off just ahead of the yard into her own drive.

If I had this time again I wouldn't ride for a while. No set time but I would get to know him... that poor horse had no idea who I was or where he was and I just didn't realise what a big deal that was. Lots of groundwork - backing up, focus and relaxation, desensitization. Grooming, walking in hand, grazing in hand. You'll know when it feels right to get on. Don't rush it... and choose whose advice you follow carefully. I had it left right and centre.

Two years on I have a horse who I can sneak onto bareback after 8 weeks out of work and just amble round the school on him. Confidence and trust is everything.

Moanranger · 10/09/2018 17:23

While you don’t have a saddle, do some natural horsemanship- join up work with him. It is fun, and helps to create a bond between you and the horse. If you do not have anyone around who knows the technique you can YouTube it, or get a session with a practitioner.
I bought a stress-head & it really helped him settle in.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.